Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2005, 03:26 AM

Default Challenge to those who don\'t like HUDs.

Go through your PT databases. Pick out people that use these tools. Please describe the process you use to determine which players use a HUD and those who don't.

I, for one, gain much more insight into how a player (or type of player) plays in offline study. The HUD allows me to draw on my study. The HUD itself doesn't make me a better player, the study does.

HUDs don't give TAGs a much bigger edge than they already have. I played for a month with no HUD, and didn't notice anything different about my play, or results. I bought PV because I wanted to move beyond 4-tabling, and checking notes was getting a bit frantic. (On a side note, I've moved back down to four tables, since specific player reads not provided by PV were being missed at the table. I still use PV, though.)

For those looking for a better analogy, use the "Guns don't kill people, people kill people." I'd change it to "HUDs don't kill fish, TAGs kill fish.", or something like that. You get the point.

The challenge is up. Show me the stats of someone who clearly uses a HUD. Since the HUD makes them such a better player, it should be fairly easy to do, especially for someone who doesn't rely on a HUD.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm just asking people to justify it. Be objective.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:46 AM

Default Re: Challenge to those who don\'t like HUDs.

i'm pro hud, but dont really understand the challenge
Old 07-09-2005, 03:54 AM

I get where you are coming from.

However, I think a better angle might be this: A couple years back I bought a $350 driver, because the guy at the shop said it would take 3 strokes off my game.

Well he might have been right. Now I shoot 105 instead of 108.

In other words if you suck you will continue to suck.

I love HUDs, however, I think they are most useful in table selection. I can honestly say that without a HUD I would probably spend more orbits on bad tables then I do.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm pro hud, but dont really understand the challenge

[/ QUOTE ]

It's my belief that it will become apparent. Patience.
Old 07-09-2005, 06:42 PM

I've quit using GT+ for the time being and I actually think it's not a good thing for my opponents. I'm not a great player, but without the HUD I find myself paying much more attention to the game, taking notes, and examining hand histories after each hand.

This has to be +EV long term.

If you want the stats for a HUD user, just pick someone at random from your database. The choice to use a HUD has little to do with winning poker.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:04 AM

Still waiting for any takers.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:10 AM

Here's my challenge to you. Explain why people don't want to stop using HUDs.

If you didn't think it helped your play, why would you be using it? Why would you even bother to make this post? If HUDs don't help you play better, why bother with them?
Old 07-10-2005, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Still waiting for any takers.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've gotten no takers because no one understands what the hell you're saying.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Go through your PT databases. Pick out people that use these tools. Please describe the process you use to determine which players use a HUD and those who don't.

I, for one, gain much more insight into how a player (or type of player) plays in offline study. The HUD allows me to draw on my study. The HUD itself doesn't make me a better player, the study does.

HUDs don't give TAGs a much bigger edge than they already have. I played for a month with no HUD, and didn't notice anything different about my play, or results. I bought PV because I wanted to move beyond 4-tabling, and checking notes was getting a bit frantic. (On a side note, I've moved back down to four tables, since specific player reads not provided by PV were being missed at the table. I still use PV, though.)

For those looking for a better analogy, use the "Guns don't kill people, people kill people." I'd change it to "HUDs don't kill fish, TAGs kill fish.", or something like that. You get the point.

The challenge is up. Show me the stats of someone who clearly uses a HUD. Since the HUD makes them such a better player, it should be fairly easy to do, especially for someone who doesn't rely on a HUD.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm just asking people to justify it. Be objective.

[/ QUOTE ]

challenge: show me the $ per hour people that use these make, compared to the $ per hour that people who don't use them make.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:28 AM

Although I am not a nOOb, I have a nOOb question: what's an HUD? (I can guess it's tracking software or something to do with it, but what does the acronym stand for)?