Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2004, 11:13 AM

Default KK nice board?

Party Poker Pot-Limit Hold'em, $0.5 BB (10 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

SB ($28.1)
BB ($43.7)
UTG ($25)
UTG+1 ($56.45)
UTG+2 ($50.7)
MP1 ($23.5)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($22.65)</font>
MP3 ($16.9)
<font color="#C00000">CO ($30.3)</font>
Button <font color="#A500AF">(Villain)</font> ($41.65)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.75</font>, MP3 folds, CO calls $1.75, Button <font color="#A500AF">(Villain)</font> folds, SB folds, BB calls $1.25.

Flop: ($5.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, CO calls $4, BB calls $4.

Turn: ($17.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero?

No reads on either player yet and I wasn't happy to see two flat calls on such a drawless flop.

Ill tell u what i did after a few replies,

Thanks in advance,

Paul
Old 12-14-2004, 11:40 AM

Default Re: KK nice board?

I always get very suspicious of a check-call on a drawless board. However, it is very possible that the BB is a very passive player playing A9, although that seems kind of unlikely. Perhaps QQ, JJ or TT. Maybe he's some mook who'll call his 77 down to the river against your supposed AK. Either way, I think that the right move here is to throw out another 1/2-2/3 sized bet on the turn, then maybe try to get a cheap showdown.

BTW, bet more pre-flop. In these games, $1.75 could get called by any two from the blinds, so always be afraid of that 95o.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

BTW, bet more pre-flop. In these games, $1.75 could get called by any two from the blinds, so always be afraid of that 95o.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%. The biggest generalization I believe can be made about smaller stakes NL/PL players is that they are incredibly undisciplined preflop, and are far more likely to call with at least a semi-dominated hand like AJo than you would find at higher limits. Many players pay no attention to the signficance of their opponents bets and raises preflop and will focus only on their own holdings.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:02 PM

Following up on my previous post, I believe the reason people will call an "overbet" with dominated hands at these stakes is precisely because there are so many LAGs out there who risk all their chips with trash preflop. Because these fish don't pay attention to their opponents, they are very likely to assume that you (hopefully ultra-TAG)are always trying to bluff them off their mediocre trash. That, coupled with the low pain index of the money being wagered (how many people are really all that concerned about their buy-in at these levels), makes for great harvesting by 2+2ers.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:04 PM

The most likely outcome for similar situations on PP for me would be one of those jokers would turn over 52 (suited of course). I agree with the other poster -- another 2/3 pot sized bet on the turn, and if it is called again then I'm checking the river (not calling any significant bet on the river either).
Old 12-14-2004, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its pot limit so that was the most i could raise.

[ QUOTE ]
I think that the right move here is to throw out another 1/2-2/3 sized bet on the turn, then maybe try to get a cheap showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

The trouble is I only have another 16 left on the turn so any reasonable bet is going to commit me to the pot.

I thought that check folding would be awfully weak though so I pushed my last 16 in.

Good, bad, terrible?

Thanks for your replies so far,

Paul
Old 12-14-2004, 12:35 PM

Sorry, didn't realize it was PLHE. Also forgot to take into account the size of your stack. Check/folding would definitely be very weak here, so I would say push and if you're beat, so be it. It's pretty hard to get away from a hand like this with stacks this short.

I guess that if you really are worried about the possibility of 2pr or a set, you could check here and let the CO bet to see the BB's reaction. If he check/raises the turn, save yourself that money and look for a better spot to get your money in. Otherwise, if the river doesn't bring an A or 9, push and hope a dominated hand calls you.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:42 PM

mmm, i like your thinking. I reckon if the CO had bet and the BB had raised i could probably have got away from this one.

As it played out i pushed as i said, the CO called, the BB folded, and the CO showed 99 for the top set.

Thanks for your advice,

Paul
Old 12-14-2004, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He should be happy if people are calling his raises with 95o. If he only got called by better hands, he wouldn't make any money.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:53 PM

push the turn. bummer it didn't work out. you make your money in these games getting all-in with TPTK or better.