Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is cheesecake pie?
Yes 11 16.92%
No 54 83.08%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-31-2005, 10:54 PM

Default Re: Bankroll Building

[ QUOTE ]
I would be 70k richer net if I never played in any of the high stakes UB games. Ever. Lesson permanently learned after last week.

[/ QUOTE ]
ouch. I would be 500$ richer if I didn't accidentally click "post" trying to chat with CaptZeebo in the 25/50. it was 3 handed and I raised pot with AT, C-bet a Q high flop then got raised so I had to muck.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:01 PM

Search and find theBrusier's story. . .he went from swallowing his pride and dropping down to $25 NL to $50/100 NL in less than a year.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But how much poorer would you be if you had always been the type of person who didn't want to take shots at higher limits?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously I wouldn't be here, but the UB games are the wrong games (for me) to "take shots". Even from day 1 I would watch those games and try to "get rich quick" when I was playing much lower limits. The same way I look at someone who sits down with 250 at 5/10, I would at 25/50 8 months ago. Just stupid.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Search and find theBrusier's story. . .he went from swallowing his pride and dropping down to $25 NL to $50/100 NL in less than a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't find it. Maybe I suck at searching stuff here.

Could you provide a link to his story?

Thanks.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:13 AM

stars here. .

Bruiser

Go to Older Archives, search for "Poker Journal" posts from theBruiser500 and you can read all about it. .
Old 09-01-2005, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
stars here. .

Bruiser

Go to Older Archives, search for "Poker Journal" posts from theBruiser500 and you can read all about it. .

[/ QUOTE ]
man those posts are hilarious. did bruiser ever make a "in your face" post to diablo/800? or did he not need to..lol

that's truely an amazing run.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:03 AM

mertin

Back when I was 16 or so I would deposit $50 at a time through my mom's credit card and/or bank account. I'd either lose it all and deposit more to win it back, or lose most of it, bring it back, and cashout. I did this for some odd amount of time before I ran my $50 up to about $360, which at the time was the biggest my roll had ever been.

I foolishly tried playing $3/$6 limit, lost it all, then cried. I stopped playing for a few months after that, but didn't stop reading about poker, etc. I wasn't at 2+2 at this time.

On December 23rd, 2004, I was staked $200 by a friend and fellow 2+2er. The agreement was that I play $.05/$1.00 limit, and not more than 2 tables. I couldn't step out of this contract. Once I had a decent roll, I would send back the $200.

I played the 6 Max limit tables on Stars for a while, hated it, and didn't win much. I spent lots of time in the SH & HU forum, trying hard to learn. I think I was an overall winner at the game, but not a whole lot. The majority of my profit came from cashing in the Stars NLHU tournament several times.

Then I transitioned into $25 NL. Can't remember how long I was there. Then I went to $50 NL, had probably sent back the original $200 by then, and beat that level. Then I moved to $100, beat that for a while, struggled with downswings, and finally had $4,000 to play $1/$2. This is about May, 05. My first day at $1/$2 went great. My second went awful. I dropped 5 buyins and ventured into my biggest downswing ever, which is just clearing up now. I didn't play a whole lot of $100, at least not as much as I should've.

I've now turned 18. I'm kicking myself because I wasted too much time not playing while I was still a minor. I was basically freerolling while playing poker as I had no bills. Now I have to start paying rent, need a car, and several other expenses that need to be paid. It sucks.

Message to all you underage gamblers: Don't waste time, get grinding. As for present, I've cashed out a bit and bought some things. My bankroll is about $1,100 and I'm currently playing $16 Turbos. Jeah. That was long.

[ QUOTE ]
this should really be a poll where you can view the results without voting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I had to lie and vote so I could see the results.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:44 AM

i know what it feels like to think you have wasted prime playing time. i was not a solid winning player until about this january. i did the same thing, win a bit, lose it, etc. but you have to put things in perspective. poker ability is not just a faucet. i think those months where id deposit 100$ to play 11$ sngs and go up and down until it was gone were part of the learning process. i learnt that its a game of swings, and got used to how easily money is won and lost with no regard to how good the decisions were. i learnt to deal with it, learnt how to deal with tilt. even though i didnt win much money at all, i prepared myself to be a solid winner later.

so my message is, and im rambling, dont kick yourself over lost time. look at it positively, think of what you gained from it and move on. at one point i felt awful and was depressed about how much time i had wasted on poker. i probably lost about 500-1K before i leveled out, as well as my time, which impacted school, the real world, etc. it was awful. then i started winning and realized "wow, i learnt something from all that and im better for it". i guess its a little like a bad beat. when i take a bad beat i tell myself "thats all in the past, this is your starting point. get it done from here, have a new frame of reference. thats all you can do about it"
Old 09-01-2005, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
stars here. .

Bruiser

[/ QUOTE ]
i remember this the first time around, and it's just as funny now as it was then. how can anyone not love bruiser with quotes like these?:

"I'm starting with a bankroll of $115 today and my goal is to build it up to a shitload of money."

"You'll see, my logs in the future will show you to be very wrong, you'll be embarrasing by my brillant success."

the brashness seems almost to be both 100% serious and 100% tongue-in-cheek at the same time, i'm not sure how he pulls it off.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:14 AM

Nov. 2004 - I deposited $300 started playing .5/1 limit and bonus whoring until I hit 2k at the beginning of Jan.

Jan. 2005 - Stared playing the 2/4 games on Party and broke even over the course of the month.

Feb. 2005 - I decided to start playing the $50 tables a little just to expiriment, turned my 2k into 4k in a week then went on tilt and lost about 1k. Cashed out 1k and took a break for a couple weeks and just play 5/1 and 10/1 sngs.

Mar.-Apr. 2005 - Bankroll is 2k now and I decided to play the 100 nl games, and built up to 4k.

May 2005 - School is almost out and I start playing the 200 Nl games doing pretty well.

June 2005 - Im out of school and play around 30 hours a week turning my 4k into 8k in about 3 weeks still playing the $200 tables.

June ,July 2005 - I move up to the $400 nl tables and turn my 8k into 14k in 10 days, The best run ive had yet.

July 2005 - I move up to the 600 nl tables and struggle a little but over 3 weeks make 10k putting the roll at 24k.

August 2005 - Im not sure what happened here but it seems I hit a brick wall when I went to the 1k tables I was up and down for 3 weeks then finally went down to 15k at which point I went back to 600 nl.

Now - I started 8 tabling 4 tables of 400 nl, b/c it was most profitable and 4 tables of 600 nl, I've made back about 4k in the past 2 weeks putting me at around 19k (which Ive been only playing about half as much as usual b/c of end of summer partying and whatnot) At this point im content to grind out these tables for awhile and see what happens.