Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2005, 01:51 AM

Default Re: Official Thread for people who are happy PE is banned

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've used it, and I can live with it or without it. Does it help my winrate? Yes, because I use it exclusively to find good tables. It doesn't play the game for me. I can beat loose/aggressive tables, loose/passive tables and weak/tight tables, but it's much easier to cherry pick the tables of my choosing. That's been a huge, and unfairly available benefit of PokerEdge, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

How is PokerEdge "unfairly available"? Do you have any evidence of them refusing service to a prospective customer?
Old 07-10-2005, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Their sensationalist blackmail advertising by basically telling you if you don't purchase our product we're gonna send out your stats, trying to invoke fear in people is complete BS.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must buy tinfoil hats in bulk...

There's nothing sensationalist. They don't promote the hidden stats feature. It's not in the tutorial. It's part of the service, if you're on PE you can choose to hide your stats. I haven't actually for any of my skins, just seems pointless.

The only one being sensationalist is you, spreading fear amongst people that haven't investigated PE trying to convince them that it's the next coming of Satan. And PE doesn't even hide the stats in full, just the details. You still get rated by PE according to whatever auto-rate rules you use.

As for the developer changing the name, he's said in the forums he doesn't recommend using PE until the talks with Party are finished, but due to demand is looking at a patch. He's taking a very ethical approach and working with Party to find out what exactly crosses the line. The main problem, which I think people on all sides have said, is that the Party affiliates are very vague about what consitutes profiling.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As long as they don't come for my particular tool I'm cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

First they came for PE, then PV/GT, then PT, then no hand editing the notes file, then no running AIM/MSN, then no sending email during play. Finally, you'll have to buy (from Party of course) a single dedicated machine to play.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First they came for PE, then PV/GT, then PT, then no hand editing the notes file, then no running AIM/MSN, then no sending email during play. Finally, you'll have to buy (from Party of course) a single dedicated machine to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sheesh...

[ QUOTE ]
You must buy tinfoil hats in bulk...

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-10-2005, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sheesh...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just pointing out the distinctions are arbitrary. If you care about keeping/killing datamining you should care on general principle, not just when it happens to affect your favorite tool.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:29 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

you're really annoying
Old 07-10-2005, 02:58 AM

Who says PE is gone? This guys who coded it aren't any morons. They WILL come around it. They are getting tons of money for it so that should motivate them to get through this.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:15 AM

I'm anti datamining. poker edge is available to everyone, yes, but the information shouldn't be available to poker edge, and them selling it is taking the problem and making it worse. IMHO.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm anti datamining. poker edge is available to everyone, yes, but the information shouldn't be available to poker edge, and them selling it is taking the problem and making it worse. IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

You damned nit.

Can we please reduce this question to its essence?
Ultimately, this entire matter is about people objecting to the idea that an edge, e.g. extra information that helps its holder play more effectively, can be purchased. Unfortunately, there is no reasonable line of distinction that can be drawn to separate an information product like PE from an information product like "Hold'Em For Advanced Players by David Sklansky." Do you see why? (nyuk nyuk nyuk).

Note that I am restricting my comments to the world of information products, be they books, software, or any other device -- either physical or virtual. This debate is about knowledge, and NOTHING MORE. Sklansky's books, PT, CardPlayer Magazine, all of those things are just knowledge tools. They are bits of information that human players consume, process, and then make use of. Player A will read HEPFAP and apply it poorly... he may also have PE and apply its data poorly. Player B may do one well and not the other, or vice versa. The INFORMATION is there for both players (and conversely not there for those that do not purchase it), but the manner in which it is used (or not used) differs immensely.

In and of themselves, PE and HEPFAP have no impact on poker games. Bringing HEPFAP to the table won't help. Loading PE to a digital table won't either. Applying the lessons learned from either, however, will make a difference. Note that this is the part that makes PE so different from IBM's Deep Blue Chess Computer or actual poker cheating software (bots, collusion, etc.). You can bring Deep Blue to a chess match, fire it up, and beat Gary Kasparov without using your brain. You cannot, however, bring PE to a 15/30 game on Party and beat that game (or any one player in it) without using your own skills, reasoning, and so on.

There has been some good discussion lately about a MTT group called "The Team" (I think that's the name). Lee Jones had a great article responding to "The Team" issue, in which he explained that online poker is just not a 1:1 equivalent of B&M poker. It is the same base game, but some differences necessarily exist. Data mining is one of them. Massive amounts of useful data are a natural and inexorable consequence of the digitization of poker. It is only natural that discerning players will want to use this data effectively, and casual players will not. In the B&M world, discerning players observe opponents at the table, read books while away from the table, and are always maximizing their information advantage. Casual players are staring at the Borgata cocktail waitress' titties and talking about the Yankees center field and pitching problems. Both types of players are free to do whatever, but they choose one path or another according to their individual priorities. Online players do the same, but the specific ways in which they do so differs somewhat.

So anyhow, DMBFan is a massive nit. I hope he's never purchased a poker book, because like Doyle Brunson, PE has taken useful poker information and put it up for sale. And by his reasoning, that's not fair.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:47 AM

one could also draw a fuzzy line between PE and a bot. I guess I should be allowed to use those too

BTW you're not in the right thread