Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2005, 12:29 PM

Default tough river decision

Prima nl .10/.20 full ring

Main villain(has me covered) limps utg - he's a crazy lag maniac, playing every hand, raisng and bluffing alot

Im UTG+2($30) with K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and make it $2 to go

MP player calls and villain calls

flop($6.50)
A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
utg checks, I check, mp checks

turn($6.50)
A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
utg bets $3, I call, mp calls

river($15.50)
A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
utg bets $24.60 putting me all in, I...

If villain had an Ace im pretty sure he would of bet big on the flop, so on the turn I felt that he either had nothing or had me well beat, so I called planning to call another half pot bet on the river.

I didn't think he was on a flush draw either because he would of most likely potted the turn. If he had a decent draw or hand he was betting the pot which is why the turn bet was a bit suspect.

I had seen him bluff a couple of times and also show down a couple of nice winners and every time he had bet the pot, with a hand, and when he was bluffing. So the bet on the end really confused me because I hadn't seen him overbet the pot before.

Would you call? If so why?

Any critique of the play on other streets is also welcome.

Thanks,

Paul
Old 02-02-2005, 01:30 PM

Default Re: tough river decision

I think this river is easy fold.

If you held JJ in his hands, how would you have played it?
Old 02-02-2005, 01:58 PM

Wouldn't he have been likely to bet some on the flop, trying to get some action from an Ace?
Old 02-02-2005, 02:03 PM

at these low limits I think villains like slowplaying their hands a bit too much.

I can also see villain playing this way with Ace, bad kicker.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:05 PM

Bet flop, if UTG bets turn, then fold, if he checks bet again. Check/fold river. MP must have a diamonddraw here.

The way you played it here i would have folded turn.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:16 PM

I personally would never, ever this hand as you did. While you didn't post the stack depths, I presume you had a larger than average stack for NL $0.10/$0.20 blinds. Leading out with a 10BB raise PF seems a tad excessive, though not very problematic in and of itself.

More importantly, I believe you need to bet at least 50% of the pot on the flop, perhaps closer to 100%. If you get called, you need to give up on the hand unless a diamond or straight card falls on the turn. Even then you may need to fold, but certainly you'd slow down. Assuming your flop bet drives MP out, you'll have the advantage of position throughout the remainder of the hand.

At the river, there is absolutely, positively no way you're calling this bet, IMO. If you're a superior player, and I assume you are, save your stack for a bigger edge at a later time -- preferably one where you're the one doing the betting and raising.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:53 AM

Villain would of bet this flop with JJ or an Ace.

The reason he had such a big stack was that he bet big with bluffs and when he had a hand.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:55 AM

On prima at this level with 2 callers I think 80% of the time someone has a weak Ace here and i was check/folding until the flop got checked through.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're a superior player, and I assume you are, save your stack for a bigger edge at a later time -- preferably one where you're the one doing the betting and raising.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't going to get this players stack by doing the betting and raising.

He was an aggressive bluffer and raiser but not a calling station and if i had AK i would of played this hand exactly the same way.

Also mp had $9 at the beginning of the hand which is why i was more concerned with getting villains money than pushing mp out.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:52 PM

Default Results

I called because I felt he was bluffing here about 70% of the time and the overbet just seemed like he wanted me to go away.

Main villain turned over 23o[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img], mp mucked and MHIG [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].