Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2005, 03:09 AM

Default I have $1,000 to Invest...

I have $1,000 to invest in an online poker-room venture. I am sure many of you have a similar fraction of their roll to invest as well.

I see ads on television for Party and Stars... that's it. Granted, I don't watch too much television, but no other poker sites that truly want to be successful are advertising. I think the Full Tilt ads are best, but only see them on Poker Updates... what a joke.

I'm a bit buzzed right now 'cause I'm on vacation, so please bear with me.

We need to get something started ourselves. Clearly, the software and RNGs are already out there and available for application. Why doesn't the 2+2 community band together and get something going?

I can work on web design, business planning and marketing (along with other likely more-qualified 2+2ers). In addition, we need software engineers and additional venture capital to get things going. There are obviously plenty of us holding the necessary capital to get this off the ground... We just need to actually do something about it. If done correctly, it would no doubt be a lucrative investment. Otherwise, don't partake... It's pretty cut and dry as long as we work together.

The key is advertising. Screw the WPT, 'cause I assume Sexton somehow has a lock on that (although Stars seems to have rights). We need ********.net spread everywhere, and through advertising, and I think it's way doable.

Our niche? Lower rake! Many of you have commented that the fish don't care about rake, they just want to gamble. Personally, I think the problem is their perspective of rake. Many are aware that rake exists, but they don't bother with the math... either they're winning or losing for the night. Who cares, right?

Oh, they'll care. They'll care when the ad explains to them that their huge profit this evening at $3/$6 could have been $240 instead of the measly $200. That's $40! Available for redemption in our most excellent gift shop or for immediate withdrawal... Your pick!

I think we need to get through to the fish, and educate them... I don't mean teaching them how to play, but teaching them about how much money they're throwing away when they actually win!

Let's start the rake-war ourselves, and again, I have $1,000 to throw into the mix. I know it's not much, but it's a start.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:10 AM

Default Re: I have $1,000 to Invest...

$1,000 is about 1% of what you need for basic capital to operate. Then you need to develop the software, hire the personnel, build a network, lease data lines, market the product, etc.

Good luck.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:13 AM

I would love to invest some money and work with this. I have an Entrepreneurship degree from Indiana so its up my alley, but I think we are a few years late to the "Party".

I have been seeing Absolute and Pacific commercials lately also by the way.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:16 AM

The software is easy. I bet it could be done in two weeks mostly off the shelf. The client can be done in a couple of days, max. The hardware for a startup would be relatively cheap also. The big expense is probably getting setup in a jurisdiction where you won't be arrested.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The software is easy. I bet it could be done in two weeks mostly off the shelf. The client can be done in a couple of days, max. The hardware for a startup would be relatively cheap also. The big expense is probably getting setup in a jurisdiction where you won't be arrested.

[/ QUOTE ]

The big expense is advertising, and advertising absolutely must be done on a full-scale. I'm willing to move to a paradisical (word?) jurisdiction as well.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:26 AM

starting an online poker site would get 99+% of this forums users waaaay over their head
Old 10-09-2005, 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
$1,000 is about 1% of what you need for basic capital to operate.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's all I had to offer at the moment of this post... In a short period of time, I should have more.

[ QUOTE ]
Then you need to develop the software, hire the personnel,

[/ QUOTE ]

AKAIK, it's already developed... And look at the personnel working right now. It shouldn't be too hard to improve upon that.

[ QUOTE ]
build a network,

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean, build? Isn't this something that we buy?

[ QUOTE ]
lease data lines,

[/ QUOTE ]

Who are we leasing these to? This part I am completely naive to.

[ QUOTE ]
market the product, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the important part, for which we need the capital.

[ QUOTE ]
Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I'll let you know when we're up and running.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:35 AM

another games grid owned/operated by 2+2ers. there would have to be huge amounts of fish.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
another games grid owned/operated by 2+2ers. there would have to be huge amounts of fish.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've yet to hear of GG beyond these forums. It's all about advertising, people. I'm off to bed.

I'm on vacation, but I'll be back tomorrow/today with more likely clear-headed details.

Quit complaining and start thinking of solutions... As MicroBob stated, the glass can be half-full... It is possible.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:30 AM

Anythings possible with money. You need big backing, you need deals struck with organisations like neteller, and other banking organisations, you need a lot of experience, and you need it all to run airtight.

You should be having lunch with the executive of full tilt, not posting here.