Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2005, 03:01 PM

Default JTo Big Loser SH?

I'm a consistent winner at the 5-10 6-max.
After 40,000 hands, my win rate averages 2.5 BB/100.

Clearly my game still needs improvement, as there are some (non-blind) starting hands in the red in PT.

The biggest loser? Amazingly, it's JTo. By far.
In 385 plays, it's cost me $1430.50, or .37 BB. I've lost in every position, even the blinds. In smaller samples, it's definitely possible to get some strange results, but with this much info something is clearly wrong. But what?

I've reviewed several games in various situations, and can't find anything amiss. I'm not, for instance, consistently losing to pairs of jacks or tens with better kickers. JTo is not a premium hand, but as a group 5 start it's playable in most positions even in a ring game. How can it be such a loser here?

My only thought so far is that it doesn't do well in heads up matches where bluffing is common, because I can't defend (call) with a jack high.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-22-2005, 03:06 PM

Default Re: JTo Big Loser SH?

[ QUOTE ]
it's playable in most positions even in a ring game.

[/ QUOTE ]

No
Old 03-22-2005, 03:07 PM

Yeah i noticed it was one of mine as well, I quit playing it unless in the blinds. And no, it is not playable at all in a ring game unless its folded to you on the button and you are stealing, and then it's probaby marginal unless the blinds are tight.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:08 PM

You're going to have be way more specific in how you are playing this hand to get any useful information. Chances are you're playing JTo way too much still. It's not all that great of a hand in most positions and it's pretty awful in a ring game in most spots.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:29 PM

I know I was surprised when I figured it out [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. At this point I might limp with it on the button after two or three passive and predictable limpers, or open-raise/steal with it from the button/CO, but that's about it. And I'm uncomfortable with the whole button-limping thing, too . . . I should probably raise with it, but it's such a lousy hand I'm really not thrilled about that, either.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:43 PM

Anyone who is surprised that JTo is doing badly shorthanded has a lot more to worry about at poker than the fact that they are losing with JTo.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:59 PM

In my evolution as a SH player I at first considered JTo a playable buy very mediocre hand. I then started reading HUSH and began to think less of it. I began mucking it everywhere except as a late steal or for just one more in the BB.

I then decided I was playing _way_ too tight in general and as part of my loosening (LAGing) it up strategy I found I had to play JTo in early positions. So I am now raising with it all over the place.

I have played 178,630 hands in my 5/10 SH database. JTo 1,656 times. vpip for JTo 35.39% and pfr is 14.13 (because most of the dbase is from my tight days) W$WSF 31.84%

I am down $22.50 total which after 1656 examples makes it a break even hand for me. I say any hand I can break even with is worth playing. The more hands I play the more action I get.

I am also happy to report that my CCPF with JTo is 0
Old 03-22-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I found I had to play JTo in early positions. So I am now raising with it all over the place.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you raise with it UTG?

I'm new to the board, don't know all the TLA's & FLA's.
What's HUSH?
Old 03-22-2005, 04:21 PM

yes I'd say that's a big leak in logic...
Old 03-22-2005, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who is surprised that JTo is doing badly shorthanded has a lot more to worry about at poker than the fact that they are losing with JTo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your comment was not helpful in any way.