Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 08:24 PM

Default Tilt Avoidance Suggestions

Okay, here's what happened and prompted this post:

Go to Vegas for the weekend to play poker. All 1/2 NL, $200 max buyin.

Friday: play for 8 hours, +$505 session
Saturday: play for 5 hours, +369 session
Sunday: play for 21 hours, -900 session

This is a pattern I'm sure many are familiar with. You get stuck early, and suddenly you're playing to make it all back, and it just gets worse and worse. You think you're playing your A game, but you're probably not. Especially when you've been sitting at the table for that long.

Anyone have suggestions? I've got some thoughts of my own I plan to use, but I welcome other ideas.

Thanks.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:38 PM

Default Re: Tilt Avoidance Suggestions

seems like you've already figured out your problem and solution
Old 08-29-2005, 08:46 PM

Yeah, I suppose so.

My plan from now on is to basically limit the number of hours I play to something sane. Eight at most, maybe? And give myself scheduled breaks every two hours.

I was also thinking of setting some hard stop number. ie, if I drop three buy-ins, quit for the day.

I just wanted to hear what other people do.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:47 PM

Well, how much of it would you say is tilt (ie doing really terrible things that you know 100% better than)?

Looking at the numbers.
505/8 = 63/hour
369/5 = 74/hour
900/21= -43/hour

I don't know your style, but I don't think the numbers look that off.

Anyway, I'd say set a stop loss/time, especially if you feel pressure to try and get it back which affects your decisions. When I get behind, I tend to make marginal plays instead of waiting for better spots.

I don't think I'd try a 21 hour session, unless you have some world class focus, you probably won't be at your best.

Every now and again, get up and wonder around. Whenever I play, I find myself getting 'bored' especially if I'm catching no playable hands. Just wondering around helps refocus.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I suppose so.

My plan from now on is to basically limit the number of hours I play to something sane. Eight at most, maybe? And give myself scheduled breaks every two hours.

I was also thinking of setting some hard stop number. ie, if I drop three buy-ins, quit for the day.

I just wanted to hear what other people do.

[/ QUOTE ]

i personally don't set an hour limit. i think that may lead to thinking you need to put x hours in on a day where you are playing like crap.

you'd be much better off figuring out when you aren't playing your A game and quitting then.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, how much of it would you say is tilt (ie doing really terrible things that you know 100% better than)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I dropped an extra $200 at the end of that 21 hour session that was from an extremely poor decision which I attribute to tilt.

Your suggestions are good ones. Thanks.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:06 AM

I track all kinds of stats on my play, Ring Game +/- Tournament Win 1,2,3,NITM,Win%. Maybe a good thing for you to start tracking is exactly what was posted before. Clock your time and put that down in your stats. Then divide winnings (hopefully) and your losses and divide it by the amount of time you played. Try to locate a pattern +/- 1 hour that is good for your bankroll. Also set your limits on how much you will lose or win for a session. When you get to that mark stop! Don't play another S&G because you are down. When you are down you need to take a break and clear your mind. I don't know maybe I track too many things on my spreadsheets but I just like to have the information available. Also I would have to say I started willing alot more when I designated not to drink alcohol while playing, or play after drinking. I know it is common sence but I has paid off greatly.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:24 AM

Here's how it should have happened.

8 hours- +505
5 hours + 369
8 hours +/- 500

If you are going to play long sessions, make sure you have a good reason. For example, I played a couple hours over my scheduled time 2day because my opponents were playing poorly, and predictable and losing badly. I made an exception because it was a very profitable situation.