Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2005, 01:38 AM

Default Two tough hands

Big blinds in both hands are unknowns. How's my line?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG folds.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, SB folds.

River: (7.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

-----------------------

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, MP1 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO folds, Hero calls, SB folds.

Turn: (6.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero folds.

River: (8.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB
Old 06-18-2005, 01:39 AM

Default Re: Two tough hands

First one is tricky. I guess your line is okay, but it's hard to imagine many worse hands he's betting on this board.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:42 AM

hand 2 is good

hand 1 - depending on the BB i either play it the same way, or fold the turn. no reads i fold.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

hand 1 - depending on the BB i either play it the same way, or fold the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did fold the turn in this hand.

In hand 2, I'm wondering if the pot was big enough for me to call down against an unknown? I'd have to have my nines win like 33% of the time to make it profitable right?
Old 06-18-2005, 02:26 AM

If you want to continue with hand one I think raising the turn for a free showdown is a better play. I think you can safely fold to a three-bet here and you can protect your hand from SB's possible overcards if it's good.

Your effective odds are gonna be (5.5+2):2, so you will have to win the showdown 27% of the time for this to be breakeven. It's close between this and folding, but I definitely think raising the turn/checking behind the river is superior to calling down because of the presence of SB.

Hand 2 is fine.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:30 AM

Uberstandard except maybe raise the turn in hand 1
Old 06-18-2005, 02:40 AM

Raise the turn in hand 1. Hand 2 is fine.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your effective odds are gonna be (5.5+2):2, so you will have to win the showdown 27% of the time for this to be breakeven. It's close between this and folding, but I definitely think raising the turn/checking behind the river is superior to calling down because of the presence of SB.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that this line is superior to the line I chose. Do you think it makes much of a difference in my long term results whether I do your raise turn/check river line or fold the turn? I'm curious.

I assume that if I employ your line, and raise BB, and he then bets out the river, that I'm folding. Right?
Old 06-18-2005, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think it makes much of a difference in my long term results whether I do your raise turn/check river line or fold the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well it's hard to say whether you're good &gt;27% of the time or &lt;27% of the time against an unknown here. He could play a 7 this way and he might play a flush draw this way, but obviously he won't every time play them this way. You'd also think a 2 would checkraise, but you just never know. He could also be betting 88 like this I guess. I think folding is probably going to be just slightly better here than continuing.

[ QUOTE ]
I assume that if I employ your line, and raise BB, and he then bets out the river, that I'm folding. Right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I would groan and fold, but I wouldn't be worried about folding the best hand.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:04 AM

Thanks for the response.

In hand 1 BB showed 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] for a gutshot draw. I did win the hand but I think I made the wrong decision and should have folded.

In hand 2 BB showed A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for Ace-high. I would have one had I stayed in but I know I made the right decision by folding.

So I made the wrong decision in hand 1, and won it. I made the right decision in hand 2. That was very, very weird.