Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 09:41 PM

Default AKo early in supersatellite

Supersatellite on Stars, 1 in 6 get seats, blinds 50/100. I have T3000, original stacks T1500, 1/4 field gone.

3rd position (T2400) raises to 300, 4th position (T2000)calls. I have AKo on button. What should I do?
Old 11-07-2005, 10:03 PM

Default Re: AKo early in supersatellite

I would flat call here and then play by the flop. You are doing good so far so I wouldn't want to risk more than necessary here with AK.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Supersatellite on Stars, 1 in 6 get seats, blinds 50/100. I have T3000, original stacks T1500, 1/4 field gone.

3rd position (T2400) raises to 300, 4th position (T2000)calls. I have AKo on button. What should I do?

[/ QUOTE ]

First off...You are a better player than me betgo. Now that I have that out of the way....Isn't this the stage of the 36+3 Sat ( i assume this is what you are playing) where play becomes ubertight? I really don't see how a push here could be a bad thing as people will easily lay down their 10 10, JJ, or even AQ here since the ratio of qualifiers to non-qualifiers here is down to about 1 in three or four. You might run into aces or kings here, but it seems to me you can take down a nice pot with a push here.

In closing....you are a better player than me betgo...whatever you did was prolly correct.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:11 AM

Betgo, what did you do and whats your reasoning behind it?
Old 11-08-2005, 07:17 AM

I pushed, which is my normal play with AKo is this situation. Raiser called with JJ. I lost and was down to 600 chips.

I wondered if I should have just called to avoid a big gamble and just maintain a decent number of chips since this was a supersatellite.

However, thinking about it, I could have doubled up someone if I had just called and only played if I made a pair. Also, I presuably had some chance of taking the pot with the push or getting called by AQ or something.

The play at this stage of the satellite is not very tight, in response to what the other poster said.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:39 AM

pushing is the more conservative play here, so i think its def correct for the supersat.

a lot of the reason why calling can become correct in regular ones is b/c you're looking to double up. here its more important to stay alive, and you stay alive a whole lot more often by pushing.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wondered if I should have just called to avoid a big gamble and just maintain a decent number of chips since this was a supersatellite.

However, thinking about it, I could have doubled up someone if I had just called and only played if I made a pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Problem here is that if you call and see a flop, the guy with JJ will shut it down if you do in fact hit your hand.

Call, and you either lose 200 when you miss the flop and JJ bets out, or make 700 when the ace flops and JJ check-folds. Sure you might make something off AQ, but I'm trying to keep it simple.

Push, and you either make 700 when everyone folds, double up when you hit your hand, or loose your shirt.

I'm sure someone smart can put percentages on this and run the numbers, but my instinct tells me the push is +ev.

Sam
Old 11-08-2005, 02:05 PM

He is last to act on the flop so it's possible he may get a few more chips. The guy with JJ won't just give it up because an A flopped. I'd much rather take the risk to get 700 and loosing 200 than double up and lose it all when I have 3000 and in good position.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:22 PM

Judging by the previous posters I am sure to get throttled with my response! I am surprised how aggressive everyone is in this situation. I am definitely not a great player just someone trying to learn the game…

Since it is a super sat, why not fold the hand here? You have a standard raise, a caller and the two blinds yet to act behind you (we’re pre-flop). In my mind I would most likely fold since AKo is merely a drawing hand. The best you can hope for is to have both overcards be live at this point. Even if that is the case it is basically a coin flip against any underpair. Since they are not suited it practically rules out any hopes of the flush. Obviously if anyone has AA or KK you are in big trouble! Perhaps I am weak-tight?

Between the scenarios of pushing or calling I do believe pushing is the right choice. As pointed out above, although you will have the advantage of position against any caller, an underpair will likely fold against aggression on the flop if an Ace or King hits. Pushing gives your opponents a chance to fold and also assures you of seeing five cards.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:27 PM

I think you can hope for a lot more than that..