Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 11:07 PM

Default Re: Plasma TV\'s, Extended Warranties, and such

[ QUOTE ]
If I hadnt had a warranty on my 50" Panasonic LCD tv that I bought 1 year ago, I'd be in the whole about $1200 right now.

-Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay.... now how much did you pay for the warranty?

Aside: Isn't 50' a little too big for an LCD tv? I thought for anything over 32', one should go for the plasma... ?

Adam
Old 07-28-2005, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thx for the article. looks like i'll be returning the extended warranty. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the best part!! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

The salesguy proposed the following deal to me: (Remember this is in Canadian dollars)...

- 42' Plasma regular priced at $3499
- I said I wanted a couple hundred dollars knocked off
- At the end of it all, he said he'd knock $200 off the TV and sell me the $600 extended 3 yr warranty for half price.
- Total for TV and WARRANTY = $3599.
- Sounded decent... I took it.

- I get home and look at the receipt. He's marked the TV down to $2999, and charged $600 for the Warranty. (This works out the same price, but they're all about selling the warranty cuz they make a HUGE commission percentage off the warranty compared to the product. - that's why they're always pushing the warranties!). Therefore, they just cut any 'deals' off the item price, but charge full price for warranty.

- I thought, "Hey, I wonder if I can return just the warranty???" As it's marked and sold as a seperate "item" on the receipt.
- I phoned the store AND went in and talked to a salesperson, who both confirmed I had 30 days to return the WARRANTY seperately - and I can keep the tv.

- So tomorrow when I go to pick up the tv, I'm loading it my car, then walking right back in to return the warranty!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] All in all, I get a $3500 tv for $3000.

- Why the hell would I pay $600 for a warranty (that only lasts an additional 2 yrs) on a $3000 item!?!?!? Simply put, the salesguy got greedy.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Adam
Old 07-28-2005, 11:32 PM

You have a better chance of going runner runner royal flush then using that warranty.