Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 03:46 AM

Default Uncomfortable AA

Nothing about this hand seemed right. It is the first time I've played AA four handed in a long time, so that made me a little uncomfortable to begin with. Secondly the flop was scary. Of course the range of hands I put at least one of the three people is KK, QQ, and JJ. If any one of them had KK or QQ, I'm in deep trouble. Same goes for someone playing KQs. I had a feeling that I was behind after the flop because of BB calling the reraise, but due to the size of the pot I felt that I couldn't fold. Comments on all streets is appreciated.

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (16.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP3 folds, BB calls.

Turn: (10.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (12.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 12.25 BB
Old 11-22-2005, 03:53 AM

Default Re: Uncomfortable AA

Do you have reads on the 3-better and the capper? I'd bet that river.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:09 AM

If he really did have KQ, KK, or QQ why wouldn't he 3 bet you on the flop? The only logical (admittedly sometimes people defy logic) reason would be to checkraise you on the turn. Instead he donk bet it, so I'd raise it up and see what he does. If he three bets you then slow down. He may simply have AK maybe AK [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or even JJ.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:31 AM

*grunch*

I think I would play it the same way. Without a read I assume BB has a reasonable capping range and you only beat AK (AA, KK, QQ, AK, maybe JJ and KQs).
The raise on the flop is still good, though. I don't think you want QT+, KT+ (with a backdoorflushdraw maybe), Gutshots and things like that sticking around here. So you want to protect. The pot is so large though, that they are still getting about 9:1. But I don't think this is a case where you should wait for the turn to raise. I don't think your edge will increase so much on the turn.
If BB has a set of Ks or Qs he could be trying to SnG hoping you will raise again. So I only call that bet.
The check on the river looks odd though. He's either trying to induce a bluff or he has A high. Given his preflop cap, I think he's trying to induce a bluff when the third to the straight and high-card hits. I could easily imagine BB having AA too (thinking you could have AK) and being afraid you hit a set on the river.
I think there is no more you can do.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:35 AM

maybe it's because just yesterday someone tried to induce a bluff on the river on a 3flush-board against me, but I think this smells like a trap. there are simply not enough hands that you beat at this point that villain is likely to have. You beat AK and you split with AA. Without a read, I don't think you can go much further than JJ and KQs when considering his capping-range.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:38 AM

It feels a lot more like AK or AQ to me, and I wouldn't feel too bad about folding to a checkraise on this board. That's why I asked the OP for reads, because it makes a huge difference. Depending on the player, the raise on the flop might not even be a good idea.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:45 AM

grunch....

i 3bet the turn before slowing down

with 2pair or a set he caps the flop
Old 11-22-2005, 05:51 AM

I'd strongly consider waiting for the turn to raise.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:13 AM

Initial reaction:
Raise the turn or bet the river, i think i'd bet the river.

However, after re-reading the hand he may be on QQ and will simply call you... Unfortunatly no read so as he could be on AK value bet it.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:37 AM

i guess the question is would he cap with AK? some people don't. or is he a nut and capping with KQ? i actually like how it was played.