Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 06:31 PM

Default Middle pair out of big blind against button limp

Pstars 45k guarantee, this guy just got moved to the table, so I have no idea what type of a player he is. This is after the money, probably 120 players or so left.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t4000 (8 handed) converter

UTG+1 (t122522)
MP1 (t48709)
MP2 (t25373)
CO (t34983)
Button (t187265)
SB (t65586)
Hero (t66458)
UTG (t56040)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Button calls t4000, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (t9400) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t8000</font>, Button calls t8000.

Turn: (t25400) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t25400

Hero bets 11k on turn and is mini-raised. What do you do from here getting 5:1 on your call?

On a side note: I was steaming a bit after losing a 120k pot when the big blind moved in and I called on the button with AK, he had T7 and spiked a 7 on the river. I was speeding a bit (but the button wasn't there for that hand). Patience and steam control are two things I need to work on.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:42 PM

Default Re: Middle pair out of big blind against button limp

You fired out a pot sized bet on the flop with second pair and a horrible kicker and got flat called.

Right here you have to ask what you can beat? Maybe he calls with K T straight draw. I figure he either has the Q or a J with a better kicker.

I would have check/folded the turn as you are out of position with hand that is likely to be beat. After your bet though it has to be obvious you are beat since I think the one hand you could beat, KT, wouldn't raise on an open ender with one card to come. Think you have to fold here.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:57 PM

Another reason to get out of this hand: The big stack limping into the pot is weird -- and disquieting.

After the five early folds, he had every opportunity to bet 3x BB and probably take down the pot against an SB and BB who were much smaller than him. He could have done that with AJ or with 73.

He didn't take it. Why?

I'd make some room in my mind for the possibility that he has KK or AA and wants to do more than pick up the blinds. If so, passive play on his part may goad weaker hands into building a pot for him.

I'd shut down after the flop bet doesn't chase him.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd make some room in my mind for the possibility that he has KK or AA and wants to do more than pick up the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the same thing at the time, and betting the turn was stupid... But like I said, I was steaming!