Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2005, 06:30 AM

Default My monitor. Will my eyes end up fried?

Hi,

First I'll say that I don't know all that much about monitors.

I have started to have a lot of floaters in my eyes. If you have them, I'm sure you know what I mean. Those horrendous bits of cell in the fluid part of your eye that are nothing more than a nuisance, but spoil your vision nonetheless.

I went to the optometrist and he didn't seem to think that being on a computer a lot had anything to do with these floaters.

Now, I have a Samsung SyncMaster 750s monitor and it is on 1280x1024 so that I can 4-table. The refresh rate is 60 Hertz, whatever that means. The monitor is quite bright.

I recently turned the brightness down to 40 from 50, hoping that would help.

Is there anyone that knows a lot about eyesight and monitors? Is this monitor hurting my eyes? I'm Canadian so I'd have to pay a fair bit to get one of these Dell 2001FPs that everyone is raving about. If I get that monitor, will it make *that* much difference? Is it worth the money?

Ryan
Old 07-31-2005, 07:06 AM

Default Re: My monitor. Will my eyes end up fried?

[ QUOTE ]
The refresh rate is 60 Hertz, whatever that means.

[/ QUOTE ]

ouch.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:31 AM

60Hz is terrible, your eyes run faster than that. This is causing eyestrain and could easily be contributing to your floaters. You shouldn't spend any prolonged time in front of any CRT monitor running less than 72Hz.
At the risk of offending optometrists, seeing them about floaters is like having your cars engine rebuilt by the guy who washes your windscreen at the traffic lights. Go see an opthamologist. And if you can't afford an LCD, but yourself a 19" 1600x1200@75Hz, your eyes will thank you for it. BTW- are you getting headaches after an hour or two??
Old 07-31-2005, 07:57 AM

I didn't bookmark it but somewhere on the web I read that LCDs are better on the eyes and heavy use of CRTs might be a glaucuma risk. Maybe someone with energy can find some links [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

~ Rick
Old 07-31-2005, 07:57 AM

Please, buy a Dell 2001FP for the sake of your eyes! Improving your winrate because of no overlap is just a bonus.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:15 PM

I do get some headaches, yes.

Hmm, maybe it's time to get that 2001LCD

Ryan
Old 07-31-2005, 11:13 PM

Does the hertz only depend on the monitor or does it have something to do with your graphics card or something?
Old 07-31-2005, 11:49 PM

Get a better monitor. The sudden onset of a lot of floaters in your vision is another matter. I recently had the same thing happen to me. Go see an opthamologist. It turned out to be a central retinal vein occlusion and could have cost me my vision in one eye. I had just been to an optometrist for an eye exam a couple weeks earlier and he didn't notice any problems. Better safe than sorry.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:35 AM

Try and get a US address to receive the box (friend of a friend or whatever), or try and call Deringer or a company that deals in Canada/US transport, maybe they can make a deal with you to receive the box.

I got mine for 480US. Went to US to pick it up (45 minutes [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]).
Old 08-01-2005, 02:54 AM

The eye floaters are capillaries that burst when you mature. You are probably in your late teens? Its just something that happens when you stop growing.