Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2005, 11:05 AM

Default Lame ass $3k in 10 days small stakes challenge (pray i dont go broke)

ok, ok. this is pretty lame. i recently (end of november) quit my job to pursue poker full time. ive got about 150k hands in PT that say im a winning player for about 5-6 big bets per 100. Im begining to wonder if my sample size is large enough.
From january 1st to present, i have lost about $1600. $800 at party poker's 50nl game and 800 at commerce's 200 game. This just is unacceptable if i want to do this full time.
Last month I averaged about $40 an hour playing 4-6 tables of $50nl on party poker. The only problem is i only logged about 75 hours in the entire month of december. I am hoping this mini challenge will get me to be more persistant with it.
Why the goal? other than because ive been sucking and need motivation, i need $2k in the next few weeks. I currently live with my dad and two younger siblings. I need to move out. $2k will give me $6k total over my bankroll as a little nest egg to get me going. And why is it a $3k challenge if i only need $2k? Because ive been an underachiever all my life. Time to turn things around. Your support is greatly appreciated
/end rant
Old 01-08-2005, 11:17 AM

Default Re: Lame ass $3k in 10 days small stakes challenge (pray i dont go broke)

What's wrong with having a job AND playing poker?
Old 01-08-2005, 11:42 AM

Default Re: Lame ass $3k in 10 days small stakes challenge (pray i dont go broke)

i make more money playing poker than i do working. well, when im making money playing poker, that is.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:52 PM

YOU ARE NOT ONLINE RIGHT NOW PLAYING POKER!

I AM DISSAPOINTED IN YOU!

good luck, i'll be bothering you all week.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i make more money playing poker than i do working. well, when im making money playing poker, that is.

[/ QUOTE ]

word.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Lame ass $3k in 10 days small stakes challenge (pray i dont go bro

I feel these kinds of challenges set you up to tilt pretty easily if you fall behind your perceived goals, especially if you are already on a losing streak.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:44 PM

Good luck with it, DB.

[ QUOTE ]
The only problem is i only logged about 75 hours in the entire month of december.

[/ QUOTE ]

There were 744 hours in December. Next time use more of them! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2005, 04:26 PM

I'm definitely not a great poker player but I do know about losing and why people lose. Did you ever think that when you were a winning player , you won because you weren't goal-oriented ? Now you have set some monetary goals for yourself you might be more focused on winning a pot rather than playing a hand correctly. I have done it and if I don't keep reminding myself to play correctly I often fall back into it.
Old 01-08-2005, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Lame ass $3k in 10 days small stakes challenge (pray i dont go bro

Don't do this to yourself dude. Get back to your old self and you know you will start winning again.

Don't try to motivate yourself with a goal like $3k in 10 days. Every winning player has downswings. Say if you are down another $500 2 days into it then you have to tell yourself "$3.5k in 8 days!!!". Nobody plays good poker under that kind of pressure.
Old 01-08-2005, 05:05 PM

Don't set a monetary goal but an hourly goal. Just tell yourself that you are going to play 8hrs/day, and everything should fall into place.

Also, I'd suggest to move up to 100NL, you should be able to keep your WR at its current rate (I did when I moved up).