Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2004, 10:18 PM

Default Re: Folding KK preflop in a limit game

Even if AA is out there, and thus you've got the second best hand, aren't you gaining equity from everyone else in the hand pre-flop?

Is that the correct way to apply this wacky "pot equity" thingy? You're giving equity up to AA, but gaining from everyone else, and thus making money? If so, then folding KK would be so very wrong.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:40 PM

I think you definitely call with KK. Only one hand can beat you here and the pot is huge! People could be raising with AQ, AK, AJ, QQ, JJ...the 15-30 at Bellagio gets pretty lose agro. Call and check call all the way.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:27 PM

You're giving equity up to AA, but gaining from everyone else, and thus making money?

Not really because you hand is hugely dominated, You cannont win unimproved and that is a huge portion of the pots that KK will take down.
i dont know if the fold is correct or not but if you *Knew* that AA was out there i would fold.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:33 PM

I can't lay this down. EVER. You are basically saying that nobody can cap it with anything less than AA? Not true.... Unless an ACE pops I will not be throwing this hand away unless action gets completely crazy...
Old 08-12-2004, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't lay this down. EVER. You are basically saying that nobody can cap it with anything less than AA? Not true.... Unless an ACE pops I will not be throwing this hand away unless action gets completely crazy...

[/ QUOTE ]

The pot has been raised, reraised, re-reraised and capped before the action has even reached the button. I would say the action is already crazy. Also, if the hero calls five cold, how many bets do you think it is going to cost him to see the river after the pre-flop action went the way it did? My guess would be: a lot.

SpaceAce
Old 08-12-2004, 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and the pot is huge!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really, considering he has to call five cold.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't lay this down. EVER. You are basically saying that nobody can cap it with anything less than AA?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not just the odds of the capper having AA, but the combined odds of all 4 raisers not having AA.

If the "good player" in this hand has similar raising standards to me, this hand could only be KK or AA unless I'm feeling frisky with QQ. Given that 2 kings are out, that leaves a lot more combinations of aces than anything else.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:46 AM

Calling preflop doesn't 100% commit you to seeing a showdown (or even the turn) unimproved and your hand will probably be worth an insane amount when you hit your set. Call. I could probably bring myself to fold QQ.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:06 AM

Default RESULTS

Although a case can obviously be made for calling or folding, I thought with a 4-bet by a passive player and a cap by a good player, there was a very good chances aces were out there and one or both of my kings may be dead.
UTG folded preflop and UTG+2 called but folded on the turn.
As it turned out, BOTH the MP1 and CO had AA, and UTG claimed to have folded KQs. So I felt good about folding to a one-out draw. Unfortunately, the flop still came KQ8 and I would've won a very nice pot. Oh well.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:16 AM

Default Re: RESULTS

If it was 4 cold to you, I would not cap. Everyone is going to call in all probability, and youre going to need the leverage to drive people out if you are ahead. I would not cap AA there either. Not capping increases your chances of winning the pot by a lot.