Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2005, 11:15 PM

Default 99 BB after an all-in from button

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t800 (9 handed) converter

MP1 (t33125)
MP2 (t33379)
MP3 (t52952)
CO (t31583)
Button (t20590)
SB (t30348)
Hero (t34040)
UTG (t29678)
UTG+1 (t53798)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t20590</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Final Pot: t20990

A little history, I doubled through the villian a few hands earlier where I got all-in preflop with AA vs his KK. I didn't see him making any outragous all-in's before he moved on the button. Anyone call here?
Old 07-01-2005, 11:24 PM

Default Re: 99 BB after an all-in from button

I fold it. The blinds are small to the stack sizes, and you've been able to get all the money in against this opp in better spots already. I think the pusher will be going broke soon, and I really want to be in on it, but you can't force it. If he is making a move, he'll make this play a few more times, and you can pick him off with a better hand. If it turns out he's only doing this with a real hand, you'll be happy you avoided it.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I fold it. you've been able to get all the money in against this opp in better spots already.

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely irrelevant, AA vs, KK is a wonderfully lucky situation, hardly a knock on the villan.

[ QUOTE ]
I think the pusher will be going broke soon, and I really want to be in on it, but you can't force it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think Villan is a donk? Other than this overbet we have no reason to think this.

[ QUOTE ]
If he is making a move, he'll make this play a few more times, and you can pick him off with a better hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Honestly, the odds are very very very slim, we will get a hand better than 99 if villan pushed 100% of the time that it was folded to him on the button.

That being said, I am not sure this is a call. I think this is a play made by a frustrated player with a good (not great hand). Id say range is 77+ AT+, KQ. So you are a slight favorite. To me the deciding factor would be the image of Hero and SB. If either have made questionable calls to large all-in bets before, I will fold (more likely he is trapping). If we are both tight, I think I call.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:43 PM

He did it again, sb pushed, I folded. Villian had AQ, SB had AT. Villian doubled up. My thinking at the time was I doubt he does this with an underpair, more likely two overcards, like AK. I folded, too big a price to be wrong.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I fold it. you've been able to get all the money in against this opp in better spots already.

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely irrelevant, AA vs, KK is a wonderfully lucky situation, hardly a knock on the villan.

[/ QUOTE ]
True, If it was flipped around I couldn't fault anyone for getting all the money in pre-folp w/ KK. [ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I think the pusher will be going broke soon, and I really want to be in on it, but you can't force it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think Villan is a donk? Other than this overbet we have no reason to think this.

[/ QUOTE ]
Perhaps my understanding of overbetting the pot is limited. But isn't it a bad play to bet 27000 to win 1200?
Would you get called by worse hands? Couldn't you steal the blinds w/ a smaller bet? It seems like your risking too much to gain too little.

[ QUOTE ]
If he is making a move, he'll make this play a few more times, and you can pick him off with a better hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, the odds are very very very slim, we will get a hand better than 99 if villan pushed 100% of the time that it was folded to him on the button.

[/ QUOTE ]
My thinking is that he's betting 23 to win 1. So he has to do this successsfully 23 times for it to be profitable, less if you factor in a suck-out. If we call w/ our top 5% of hands we should be in good shape. I guess 99 is probaly about there. Maybe it can be a call, but I think the odds are your way behind or slightly ahead.
[ QUOTE ]

That being said, I am not sure this is a call. I think this is a play made by a frustrated player with a good (not great hand). Id say range is 77+ AT+, KQ. So you are a slight favorite. To me the deciding factor would be the image of Hero and SB. If either have made questionable calls to large all-in bets before, I will fold (more likely he is trapping). If we are both tight, I think I call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this advice, better than anything I came up with.