Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 09:34 PM

Default 99, tough decision

24 are left, 1500 started. I have T125,000 chips. Stars $3 tournament. Been playing somewhat tight. Stolen a few blinds, probably playing one of the best tournaments of my life, to be totally honest. I am in first position with pocket nines. I raise it up to 14,250 with blinds at 6000/12000. Villain on the button re-raises all in, which costs me $75,000 more. It's about the fifth time he's done this at my table and has been called twice, showing A7 hearts and pocket twos. Everyone else quickly folds. Hero? I'll have 25,000 left if I call and lose. Chip leader if I win.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:36 PM

Default Re: 99, tough decision

Easy call.

I'd say the villian's range is quite big because its near the end of the tourny and he could easially be going for a resteal.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:54 PM

Sounds like you're playing against me. If the dude's smart, he knows he's due for a call on this crap and is expecting one. How long has it been since his other big push forays? I guess if I'd seen mostly solid, albeit highly aggressive play from this guy then I'd be worried. But if he seemed more like a maniac or a jackal, then I'd be really tempted to call.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like you're playing against me. If the dude's smart, he knows he's due for a call on this crap and is expecting one. How long has it been since his other big push forays? I guess if I'd seen mostly solid, albeit highly aggressive play from this guy then I'd be worried. But if he seemed more like a maniac or a jackal, then I'd be really tempted to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was the hard part about it. Does he actually have a hand this or time? Or does he have an underpair or one overcard. Or no overcards.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:16 AM

To finish this up...

he called and showed Q10. The flop was A 7 2. The turn: K, and he spikes a Q on the river.

The main question is is the 55-45 decision the best idea. With a table of reckless players should I settle for basically a coinflip instead of waiting for a bigger hand than nines since I was fourth in chips at the time.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:27 AM

I like open pushing here. It is one of those hands you want to play, but you are in UTG and you only have a touch over 10BBs. If you get reraised, you have to call, but why not discourage hands like KQ from getting uppity. Sure, it is a mistake for KQ to have his money in there with me, but it isn't a huge mistake, and I am willing to sacrafice a little EV for a reduction in variance in an MTT.