Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 09:17 AM

Default Re: Pumping New Orleans

Ed,

How many people do you think will never return to NO?

I'm thinking that in the future, the NO Mardi Gras and the French Quarter may just be a Disneyfied reproduction of how it used to be, and that the city itself may be a shadow of its former self.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:21 AM

I think we should just leave it the way it is. Lake New Orleans. Stock it with bass or something.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[if you have an average of five posts in response to every moron who starts a thread in OOT you reach 16K pretty fast I imagine.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait.... did Swede just call me a moron?

[/ QUOTE ]

I certainly did not, moron.

Swede
Old 09-07-2005, 09:51 AM

Or turn it into something like Venice, Italy. All the mayor has to do is first evacuate 100% of the people that remain and give them adequate temporary housing.This is the most important thing.

Then order all of the levees removed once those people are safe. This would result in clean water going in and diluting the bad water until it becomes clean. Then he can impose a law that requires all new buildings built from here on out should either have stilts or foundations that put the first floor well above sea level.

My point is they shouldn't fight nature. The fact is NO was under sea level to begin with and they should accept that. The French Quarter was the only part of NO that was above sea level in the first place. As the city grew, new constructions were built around it and it just so happened that they were under sea level. There were no well made plans to do this. It just happened fortuitiously one building and one house at a time.

Now they have the chance to correct what was wrong and avoid future misery. Odds are there will be another Katrina in the next 100 years. But if they follow my plan, all of NO will be safely above sea level when it happens and there would be dramatically less suffering.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Or turn it into something like Venice, Italy. All the mayor has to do is first evacuate 100% of the people that remain and give them adequate temporary housing.This is the most important thing.

Then order all of the levees removed once those people are safe. This would result in clean water going in and diluting the bad water until it becomes clean. Then he can impose a law that requires all new buildings built from here on out should either have stilts or foundations that put the first floor well above sea level.

My point is they shouldn't fight nature. The fact is NO was under sea level to begin with and they should accept that. The French Quarter was the only part of NO that was above sea level in the first place. As the city grew, new constructions were built around it and it just so happened that they were under sea level. There were no well made plans to do this. It just happened fortuitiously one building and one house at a time.

Now they have the chance to correct what was wrong and avoid future misery. Odds are there will be another Katrina in the next 100 years. But if they follow my plan, all of NO will be safely above sea level when it happens and there would be dramatically less suffering.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mushu for president!!!! Who's with me?

Swede
Old 09-07-2005, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Plus, everybody there already has a boat. It's like Alaskans and airplanes.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Plus, everybody there already has a pirot. It's like Alaskans and airplanes.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-07-2005, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What the [censored] is a pirot? Is that some sort of oldtimer boat they used to use back in the day?
Old 09-07-2005, 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What the [censored] is a pirot? Is that some sort of oldtimer boat they used to use back in the day?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what the coonasses use. kinda like a johnboat.

Edit: i'm probably misspelling it though. it's like pee-row.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A pirot is kind of like a kayak/canoe thing that you can either sit in and row, or stand in and push yourself along with a pole. It's more stable than a canoe obviously since you can stand in it. Fairly common easy to make homemade-boat.