Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2004, 04:12 PM

Default Playerview for dummies thread

I think having a thread strictly for PV that is geared toward the semi-literate computer user would be really helpful. I say this partly because I am one of those semi-literate computer users, and it would greatly benefit me. Also, it would probably stop a lot of the same questions being asked over and over.

So, the idea is to have a thread (this one) serve to outline the process of setting up and making use of the playerview program. The subject line should probably be changed for each entry -- e.g. "How to download and install the .NET Framework version 1.1" (which I will offer up as the first contribution to this thread, as I did it last night) instead of "Re: Playerview for dummies thread." This is not to say that responses to this thread are not okay or anything (I would never want to imply that -- in fact, and feedback on this idea is greatly appreciated), just that the titlular line of the subposts on this thread should be germane to the topic they discuss.

Perhaps if anyone had a question they could also post it in the thread. This would allow subsequent (and appropriately titled) posts to answer questions, thereby contributing to the thread.

Hopefully this would contribute to this forum by offering a central location for the most common issues anyone has with PV. It might cut down on redundant posts by making multiple posts asking the same questions unnecessary -- all questions would be asked once and subsequent people having the same questions could simply refer to this thread.

This may or may not be a good idea. If it is then perhaps this can be the "PV for dummies thread." If not, then this thread will die in the market of ideas that is this message board.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Greg
Old 12-08-2004, 04:21 PM

Default Downloading and installing the .NET Framework version 1.1

After downloading the .zip file from the PV homepage I had trouble unzipping the file, and was prompted to download a program called .NET framework version 1.1.

Unforunately the link was not working properly, so after rooting around I found a DL for .NET v 2. Just as good, or even better right? WRONG! I figured the v 2 would work but it did not. So anyway, I (finally) figured this out, kept rooting around, decided to try v 1.1 before I started to bug Amir (who I'm sure get too much harassment from people like me to begin with!). A link to DL version 1.1 can be found here. DL and run this program, then proceed to unzip the file, and this should get you started.

If I left anything out in this process please subpost and correct me.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:13 PM

Default Re: Downloading and installing the .NET Framework version 1.1

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
I am on of the moderately literate computer dummies eluded to in this thread. I have dl .NET (lotsa times) and playerview. I have been unsuccessful every time in getting past the unzip phase.

My latest error box is this:

"The MSIEXEC.EXE file is linked to missing export MSI.DLL:222."

This error box is plastered over this one:

"The loader successfully loaded the Windows Installerled to run the Windows Installer package 'C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\INSTALL\PlayerviewNET Installer.MSI' "

huh??
I just wanna use the program and play poker-- PLease HELP!!

AMIR-- I am all for donations...get me outta this trap and I will be glad to send you money."

thanx
sly
Old 12-09-2004, 02:31 AM

Default Re: Downloading and installing the .NET Framework version 1.1

Here download this:

msi.dll

Place it in your C:\windows\system32 directory then go to your start menu, go to run and type in the following command:

regsvr32 C:\windows\system32\msi.dll
Old 12-09-2004, 09:53 AM

Default Will PV work on Win98?

I just want to make sure before I try to download the .net stuff.

thanks.

Rhone
Old 12-09-2004, 10:36 AM

Default Re: Will PV work on Win98?

It should however as far as I know it is untested on Win98.