Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2004, 06:16 PM

Default Re: 60k in 60 Days: Season 2 - Day 37 and 38

[ QUOTE ]
Response 3: “Nope, not running good at all, but I must say I’m surprisingly upbeat and confident.”
- Contrived response. I have a test to see if a person tilts. If that person says “I don’t tilt,” it is a surefire way to tell that this person does, in fact, tilt. This statement doesn’t pass the test.

[/ QUOTE ]

I *do* tilt. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

One thing though is that I think it's possible to convince yourself that you're tilting when you're actually not. I, like you, have a pretty aggressive style, and while it might or might not be optimal at every juncture, it has made me a fair amount of money over the long run. On the other hand, when you're just getting owned, it's easy to look back and think you're a hopeless tilty LAG even when you're playing more or less the same way that you always do. If you're able to push a lot of 51:49 edges - and that's what you have to do to be a great 6-max player - it's possible to feel damned foolish after the coin is coming up tails a lot.

One reason that I've decided to concentrate on full games for the time being is that I think the *psychological* swings are a little bit easier to handle, even though the financial swings are just as bad or maybe a little worse.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:43 PM

One thing though is that I think it's possible to convince yourself that you're tilting when you're actually not. I, like you, have a pretty aggressive style, and while it might or might not be optimal at every juncture, it has made me a fair amount of money over the long run. On the other hand, when you're just getting owned, it's easy to look back and think you're a hopeless tilty LAG even when you're playing more or less the same way that you always do. If you're able to push a lot of 51:49 edges - and that's what you have to do to be a great 6-max player - it's possible to feel damned foolish after the coin is coming up tails a lot.

excellent point. i feel this all the time when i am running bad for a stretch. it feels like i am just hemmoraging cash sometimes.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:25 PM

I agree. These are so fun to read.

GL at the tables Gonores.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah…eff you, poker gods. I shall continue to blaspheme. You are not powerful enough to make me fail in this endeavor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Be carefull, though not technically the same gods, the poker gods and the golf gods have a weekly chess game together where they share notes.

Those who play a lot of poker and golf know this, and also know that you will rarely run well in both and you DON'T want to piss the golf gods off.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:50 PM

The hands are my favorite part of the journal. I think the reason you don't get much feedback on them is because no one has anything to critique about them. But if you're going to post them in HUSH that's ok.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:04 PM

Well... I've been reading all of these, and I just wanted to say that I really enjoy them. I appreciate your wit and admire your skill.

Also... Hell yeah the downswings suck, but you're a good player and you'll work your way out. I'm sure you'll meet the challenge.
Old 10-09-2004, 03:03 AM

Just to add all of your poker violence stories, I have a good violent gambling story and it is 100% true. I used to have a little online blackjack problem and I always play on my laptop. I always hit my screen a lot and it usually was ok, but one time I hit it a bit too hard. I cracked the plasma screen and left a huge fist imprint with a busted A4KK left on the screen. The computer stores said it is very expensive to fix and better to a buy a new one then for them to fix and suggested I send it to Compaq. It apparently was under warantee and a week later it came back from compaq with a new screen and no charge. I wonder if the compaq guy had a good laugh at receiving a smashed screen with a busted Ace-4.

PIGVOMIT
Old 10-09-2004, 11:35 AM

Great posts and I enjoy reading them.

I actually do carry a stressball on me and when I get a bad beat I squeeze the thing so hard that my hand goes red for 2 minutes.

My tilt is getting better, but I'm in the middle of nasty losing streak still (lost 10/12 sessions) but only down like 50 BB so not too bad. But still it does little for my confidence and only increases my tilt factor. But once I do realize that I called a raise with 6-10 suited, I know its time for me to blow my money getting laid instead of blowing it on cards.

Hmm..this throwing the mouse thing is very intriguing. I gotta try it sometime.
Old 10-09-2004, 02:15 PM

(doug was having none of my counter-offer over the phone.)

alright, alright, you can still buy me a round a golf. (damn packers fans and all their pride)

and, yes, NL lessons will be free of charge, although its unlikely that anyone would ever offer me a dime for such services.

fsuplayer