Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2005, 11:06 AM

Default Re: Going back from 6max to full

[ QUOTE ]
(3) 3-bet with caution when holding less than the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

The word here is caution. I say nothing about not 3-betting at the right times. 3-betting in SH is very run-of-the-mill and pretty much automatic in many spots. This is not so in full, comparatively speaking (at least in the $5/$10 games I see). Many spots where a 3-bet is auto in SH need more consideration in full: what type of player is raising you? There are a bunch of micro-AF players who will only raise with very big hands and a 3-bet is always capped. There are also players smart enough to exploit more aggressive play (when over-used, which is easy coming from SH).

EDIT: Perhaps less than the nuts is overdoing it a bit, but I was trying to convey the comparative experience I have had returning to full games. SH people raise with all sorts - so you need to 3-bet liberally.

[ QUOTE ]
(6) AQ is not a big hand to a PF 3-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed, I was deliberately under-stating this in an attempt to be ironic. There are some good sarcasm meters about on the forum, you may be able to get hold of one and tweak it for irony as well... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2005, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when I started playing full tables I had to learn and I just 8 tabled 3/6 a few times for an hour and practiced being weak tight. it helped.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 10-21-2005, 12:44 PM

After reading this post and replying to it on what ever day it was, I did some serious thinking about how I approach game selection and limits.

This is probably standard for most of you, but sometimes stuff takes a while to click for me and when it does I get excited.

Since the Skins debacle, I have been playing more off sites, especially the ones I have RB or good bonuses. The game quality is as good as if not better than Party (for 5/10full). The only thing that I missed was the "game liquidity"... ie being able to click on the waiting list and be on a table 30 seconds later.

So after reading this post, I decided to add the 6-max tables to my mix. I four table, so usually I try to keep it to 2 short (either short at full tables or 6-max) and 2 full tables. Although I don't mind 3-1, and probably eventually I won't mind 4 short at a time.

Anyway, this went well. So then I got to thinking, I have been conservative in moving up. I have over a 1100BB bankroll for 5/10. I need to average a certain amount each month (a bad month or two won't kill me), in withdrawls to pay some bills and I have been trying to balance this with bankroll growth.

It eventually dawned on me, that adding 10/20 full into the mix would be good. I had been waiting for one day when I would just decide I am 10/20 player now. But thinking about this stuff, finally a lot of the stuff Sfer, Sthief, and others have written about not limiting yourself to just one limit... finally clicked for me.

Anyway, slightly low content, but I get it now. I play the games if they are good at the limits my bankroll allows (with 5/10 being the minimum... all my projections are based on 5/10... I would have to crush a 3/6 game to make it worth my time... and well I am just not a game crusher).

Gee... it only took me 17 months to "get it". Who says I am slow [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].
Old 10-21-2005, 12:52 PM

I havent made the change, but I suspect that a lot of your problems could be solved by folding more in EP. Reread SSH.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Much advice on the SH forum is for LAGtards who do not bother reading opponents and vary their play accordingly. Certainly you can get away with non-reading a lot more in SH games,

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm... no?

Reads are a lot more important the more SH pots you're going to play. Some of the advice in HUSH tends to be lousy and too agressive, but I think your statement is WAY off base.

It isn't that rings games are more profitable, it's that short handed games are just MORE FUN TO PLAY.

In a SH game I can exploit the bad players easier, I get in more hands vs. bad players, and I don't get bored with the pace of play.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:50 PM

Please try 10/20 sometime. But when you do, don't muti-table 3 others at 5/10 or whatever. Just play one table and play poker. I generally bounce back and forth between 5/10 and 15/30 depending on my mood, the games and my recent swing.

No bones about it, 10/20 is a tougher game on the whole than 5/10. There should be no illusions there.

Also, when you do move up, practise patience. I can't tell you how many times I see a seat that is trying to outplay people with chips and they remind me of myself a year ago spewing my roll into other's stacks.

- Jim
Old 10-21-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please try 10/20 sometime. But when you do, don't muti-table 3 others at 5/10 or whatever. Just play one table and play poker. I generally bounce back and forth between 5/10 and 15/30 depending on my mood, the games and my recent swing.

No bones about it, 10/20 is a tougher game on the whole than 5/10. There should be no illusions there.

Also, when you do move up, practise patience. I can't tell you how many times I see a seat that is trying to outplay people with chips and they remind me of myself a year ago spewing my roll into other's stacks.

- Jim

[/ QUOTE ]

This may be a bit of hyperbole, but I am not sure I can optimally on one table anymore.

The only time I one table is if I play a tournament (about once every two months or so). I enjoy four tabling, simply because the pace is slow enough where I can relax a bit; but not so slow that my mind starts to wander.

I have already made a couple forays into the 10/20 games, and I have not had any trouble with focus yet.

On the other hand, I understand where you are coming from. But the best way for me not to get fancy is to keep busy.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:13 PM

Wy would you want to go back to full? 6-max at Party is my personal ATM machine (although higher variance can suck). Full-ring is like collecting pennies on the beach but even more boring.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(9) Games are MUCH better when you have position on the worst players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm one who prefers a full table. To each his own. I like the relaxed pace...has nothing to do with not willing to get my hands dirty with marginal holdings.

At any rate, #9 on your list here was the biggest thing I noticed when I played short handed for a couple weeks a little while ago. I loved the fact that you can mingle with the fish or 2 a lot more and your seat didn't have nearly as drastic an impact as it did in a full game.