Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2005, 12:57 AM

Default supersystem question

So I am reading super system and a play that seems totally fundemental in Brunsons strategy still does not seem good to me. maybe I am just too tight also, but heres a paraphrase of the passage.

Brunson raise pf with 76s flop comes A 5 4. With only a backdoor flush. He said he would raise then if reraised he would figure his opponent for AK but still push the flop.

What % of opponents would u try this on?

Do you need a solid read to do this?

Is there a range of limits this is most effective at?

TY
Old 09-01-2005, 01:20 AM

Default Re: supersystem question

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of raising preflop with suited connectors. I do it when I'm on the button and I'm trying to steal the blinds. He also talks about limping with them in nearly any position. He's right, they are the kinds of hands that beat Aces and Kings, but I don't think they beat those hands often enough to play them as much as he suggests. I may be wrong, but I try to see a flop with them as cheaply as possible. I will call a raise with the m if there are at least four players in to justify the odds. I have reraised with them on rare occasions when the CO was, in my opinion, trying to steal the blinds as it is easier to do off the button than on it. I have done it because I had a good read on my opponent and I knew the blinds would fold, leaving me heads up with the thief. I did it because I had position the rest of the hand. Fortunately I've never had to show those hands down, the theif showed weakness and I bluffed the pot. Again, I had to be certain it would work before I did it. I could be wrong though, let's see what the others say.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:02 AM

He used this stratigy verses extremely tight players who had deep stacks (and yes they would usually fold AK in that situation).
Old 09-01-2005, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Brunson raise pf with 76s flop comes A 5 4. With only a backdoor flush. He said he would raise then if reraised he would figure his opponent for AK but still push the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

He also has an open ended straight draw. Take into account these games were played with big money on the table so he was popping the pot quite high still by going all in.
Two reasons to do this 1)you need to get about 3-1 on this move for it to be appropriate (two draws to hit 8 outs or two running cards) so you are geting close to good odds to stack the guy. You could also be against an unmade hand where you have even more outs. Plus when you factor in the large number of times people will (or at least did) fold that made for a money making play. If your opponent folded 2 in 5 times and you won one of those other 3, you should be making plenty off this play.
2)This will get you more/less action on later hands. If everyone knows you will go all in with monsters and big draws then you are either a)likely to get looked up alot by someone with a good to great hand that your monster beats or b)people will start slow playing at you so they don't put their money in against you with a draw.

In normal 100BB max buy in games this is not good strategy.With a raise and a reraise you probably only have 20BB left to put in. In no max you can be playing for 1000BB and be able to take the last 500 or more when you go all in plus you will win alot more off of the folds. Thus it is more profitable.