Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2004, 11:39 PM

Default Re: Cold cards?

Just spent the day at the Taj and went nearly two hours without playing a hand. The kicker was I didn't even have any hands that were winnable had I been loose enough to play them. What I did do was play a few hands I shouldn't have and they earned me an expensive second best. I got wiped out, not because I played too tightly, but because I wanted to see just a little action.

It's tough sitting there and watching people pull down puts with J8o and a fullhouse. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-15-2004, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't see how you get 1 in 12 to 1 in 120. I know Lee Jones says 1 in 12, but he lists 22 hands as playable under the gun. And I get 22/169 to be a bit more than 1 in 8.

[/ QUOTE ]

assuming your at a 10 player table. 1 hand for every 12 in early position is 1 hand every 120 total hands dealt as you sit there. Thats roughly 1 hand every hour and a half youll play UTG. Granted that uncludes the 9 other hands you get as you go around the table where you will loosen up and may play. And if the table is very weak (the places you supposed to look for) players will often raise or call every time they are UTG with hands like K4 Offsuit and get a cold call and a re-raise. That will make it hard to call even on the button with most marginal hands. So you could sit there a very long time waiting for a spot.

I guess it's a real test a patience.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:23 PM

Well, playing as is taught here on 2+2 will have you playing about every 6th hand dealt utg. You are utg three-four times an hour. So 90-120 minutes between every hand you play UTG.

All in all I see 29.4% of all flops, so playing a little less than every third hand isn't murderously boring.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:34 PM

4th tourney tonight, i get 3 more chances at the $1 newbie on party.

I played 5 hands not from the blinds tonight and finished 116 of 601. 77, QQ, JJ, AJs, KQs. Thats it, the rest were horrible trash. A very loose table, no telling what they would play. I made it to, i forget the level, sry, but blinds had just went to 200/400 and i was down to 390. I pushed with KQs and lost on the river. Oh well. I'm learning.

I limped a few times from the BB with offsuit junk and folded to the first bet, because nothing hit on the flop at all. Twice from BB i had 8's and both times there was an all in in front of me, easy fold?
Old 08-15-2004, 11:02 PM

Yes, an easy fold.

Didn't realize you were talking about No Limit. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Tournament play can be especially grueling that way. Especially if the cards are cold when the blinds have risen to a grotesque size. A big reason I don't like tourneys much, 3-4 hours of flawless (???) hard work only to be eaten alive by bad luck when the blinds go humongous.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:23 AM

the only reason i'm playing nl tournies right out of the gate is i'm eligible for the $1 new player ones at party. After my week is up i'll have to reevaluate where i want to take my game next. probably microlimits and/or some cheap sng's?
Old 08-16-2004, 09:45 AM

On PP, I once went 78 hands without a hand that would have won if I played it through the river. Fortuantley I was patient enough to just sit and watch and only lost a $20-30 in a NL $50. I have also seen people in B&M and online win 15/20 hands.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:47 AM

I'm a huge fan of ring games myself. But to each his own. Do what you find fun and profitable.