Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2004, 09:40 PM

Default Cold cards?

How common is it not to get anything that resembles a starting hand from any poker book or online reference for an extended period of time?

Just curious. Even my TTH game says fold all the time. LOL
Old 08-13-2004, 09:53 PM

Default Re: Cold cards?

Depends,

I once sat at a 5/10 B&M game and didn't see a flop for 3 hours.

I play 8 tables online and it's rare that I don't see a flop within any 2 minute timespan.

I play $0.01/$0.02 in a NL home game and every starting hand resembles a starting hand.
Old 08-14-2004, 04:21 PM

Depends on your definition of extended period of time. Going through a couple hundred hands without anything to play is gonna happen sometime I guess. Not all that often though.
Old 08-14-2004, 06:15 PM

It happens. Last weekend I was in a B&M $3/$6 game. There was a clock on the wall visible from the table. From 9:00PM to 2:00AM, I did nothing but post blinds and fold.
From 2:00AM to 3:00AM, I continued to fold, but might have actually seen a flop or two, and then folded. I was down over $300 without seeing a hand. When I left at 5:00AM, I was up a hundred or two, so it works both ways.
Old 08-14-2004, 06:31 PM

Ive often wanted to ask this question myself. If you follow the starting hand strategies found in the low limit books youll play one 1 of every 12 hands in early position. Thats 1 hand for every 120 dealt. If you remain true to those strategies and fold to a raise and then a reraise in late position when marginal, you could sometimes not play for a long time.

I'd like to hear what experts have to say about playing that tight. Is this a contradiction in what would be concidered good play? Or is this an example of minimising losses and maximising wins over the long haul?
Old 08-14-2004, 07:01 PM

i realzie being a newbie to online poker, well, poker in general, and that the 2 new player mmt's on party are a very small sampling, but so far in 2 tournies I have gotten AK 3 times, TT & 88 once and thats the best 5 starting hands I've had.

Here is on I managed to win. I know I played it weak, but pls critique anyway.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (8 handed)

CO (t815)
Button (t235)
Hero (t2730)
BB (t2665)
UTG (t1320)
UTG+1 (t635)
MP1 (t1345)
MP2 (t2210)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls t20, MP2 calls t20, CO calls t20, <font color="CC3333">Button raises to t130</font>, Hero calls t120, <font color="CC3333">BB raises to t240</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button calls t105 (All-In), Hero calls t110.

Flop: (t775) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks.

Turn: (t775) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks.

River: (t775) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks.

Final Pot: t775

I wanted a check raise on the flop and didn't get it, after that i was thinking he ay have had a straight draw possibly and was content with what i had.
Old 08-14-2004, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ive often wanted to ask this question myself. If you follow the starting hand strategies found in the low limit books youll play one 1 of every 12 hands in early position. Thats 1 hand for every 120 dealt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how you get 1 in 12 to 1 in 120. I know Lee Jones says 1 in 12, but he lists 22 hands as playable under the gun. And I get 22/169 to be a bit more than 1 in 8.

And for most games he is a wee bit too tight in early position. I open on 14.85% of all hands dealt to me UTG, and Astroglide opens on 16.28% of all hands. (He is probably the best combination of a great player and great database on these forums. Over 100,000 hands of 3/6.)

But there are times when I don't get anything playable even on the button for many orbits, and there are those times I get to raise pf for 6 straight hands. It evens out in the long run.

I find it pretty rare that it's 3 bets back to me, unless several players have very loose raising standards, in which case I don't release most of the hands I opened with anyways. Yes, it happens in tight games, but then you can merrily fold any marginal holding.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:03 PM

been having that problem for past week. being dealt non-playable hole cards, and when dealt playable ones, get out drawn. stratedgy seems pointless unless you have the nuts. people call to the end, often with terrible hole cards.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:06 PM

isn't that a boring way to spend your time? saw some guy reading a book at a b&amp;m game also. seems awfully strange way to spend one's time having "fun."
Old 08-14-2004, 11:32 PM

yeah, winning money night after night is getting to be a real drag, but I'm learning to adjust to it.
[img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]