Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2005, 06:39 PM

Default Re: I can\'t watch anymore of this WPT author challenge

[ QUOTE ]
Truthfully, I don't get Sexton. I know the guy is a good player and has had more success than I have and is probably better than I'll ever be, but he always looks overmatched when playing with the big boys (Poker by the Book, Poker Superstars, etc.).
What poker commentary needs is someone like Harry Carey (or however his name is spelled). Someone that discusses everything other than the game before him. Someone that could tell us amusing little anecdotes about the great depression, sausage, indigestion, bunions, etc. while superstars are getting felted five feet away from him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard Mike say in an interview that he just doesn't care much for playing poker anymore--it doesn't excite him like it used to. Since he hasn't worked on his game for so long, he can't hang with the best players in the world anymore. But that doesn't mean he's not a poker legend for other reasons—such as his past play and his business contributions to the poker world. (And no, I can't defend some of his commentary--I blame the travel channel for forcing him to commentate for entertainment value instead of in-depth poker analysis.)
Old 11-26-2005, 06:51 PM

Don't misunderstand me, I never meant to try and take anything away from Sexton's greatness. I know that he has played for years and with the best. I guess if he doesn't care for the game anymore, that's why he looks so out of place when he's playing. I agree he's a legend. So, I apologize if it seemed like I was implying that he's anything less than that. My point was simply that he looks like he doesn't belong when he's playing, or, I guess that could mean that he is just not interested.
As for the WPT stuff, I agree. They should let the man say whatever he wants to. I'm sure if they did that, he could provide some interesting insight. Something like what Barry G and Lederer do, just with more energy.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:40 PM

I agree completely that the commentators should shut up when the players are talking. Hearing what the players are saying is far more informative and entertaining than the commentators.

Lederer is also my favorite commentator. I learn something new every time he does a broadcast.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I managed to get through 30 minutes of it before giving up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Life really sucks.