Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 09:23 PM

Default Will I get better at multitabling?

I'm a new player, but I quickly moved to playing two tables at once, simply because playing one table was just intolerably boring. With two tables, it's interesting and entertaining to me.

There's no question to me that I'm playing worse this way though. In the last hour I played, I folded JT on the flop, failing to notice there was a Q and a 9 in the flop and I had an open ended straight draw, as I was in a major hand in the other table. A few minutes later, again with action on both tables, I mistakenly thought I had 4 to a flush when I only had 3, and made a stupid call.

I would never make these sort of bonehead mistakes playing only one table. Do most of you find you get used to multitabling and stop making these obvious blunders? How do you deal with it when you have action on two (or more, for those who play lots of tables) hands at once?

When I'm in a hand on one table, and AJ suited comes up on the other, my response is, "oh crap".
Old 08-15-2005, 09:29 PM

Default Re: Will I get better at multitabling?

I think you firstly need to be able to play one table almost on autopilot before you can multi. If you have trouble reading the board, I think the answer is to just single table until you are a lot more confident. Then, the extra tables will come naturally.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:30 PM

Yes.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you firstly need to be able to play one table almost on autopilot before you can multi. If you have trouble reading the board, I think the answer is to just single table until you are a lot more confident. Then, the extra tables will come naturally.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the key. I think about poker hands in my sleep and autopilot 4 tables at this point. You need to get your game down before looking to add tables.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:35 PM

just spend a few extra seconds to look at everything and make sure you know what you're doing, that should help you avoid costly errors
Old 08-15-2005, 09:41 PM

You said you misread 3 to a flush, and thought you had 4 to a flush. Make sure you are playing with a 4 color deck. It's pretty much essential to use if you are going to multi-table. Especially when you start playing 4+ tables.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:44 PM

You will probably get better at multitabling, but it's less likely that will get better by multitabling.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:47 PM

Yes, youll get better but like someone else said, you need to get autopilot working properly.....Im sure theres some pretty good evidence out there about the correlation between multitabling and being able to automatically recognise certain situations.....Im currently 2 tabling and whilst Im confident I could go to 4 I dont think my autopilot will function optimally there just yet and I want to work on the quality of my game........anyway the human brain is pretty quick so shouldnt take too long to adjust to the faster pace of multitabling.

anyway a couple o suggestions that might help
- turn on 4 colour decks
- go to a site with good quick software (eg stars)
- consider playing a stack of play money tables at a time.....that way youll get to test your autopilot at zero expense
- drop down a limit level until your 2 tabling is up to speed

Good luck
Old 08-15-2005, 09:49 PM

no
Old 08-15-2005, 09:50 PM

Here's what I did in the beginning to combat boredom:

1 Table at your level (.5/1 or 1/2 or .25/.5 etc) and read threads;
try to watch the game and read players... John Vorhas (I think) describes "ghosting" try to guess how a player is going to play... inciddently, this is a great idea for B&M, since you can't multi table there lol

or 2 table: focus 75% of your attention on your primary table, and then play a micro table - 0.05.10, just to keep you from falling asleep...

BTW, multitabling is a sure way to get monsters on both tables, and blow them all simultaneoulsy... this of course after playing for an eternity with nothing!!!