Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2005, 02:10 AM

Default Re: Negreanu and Jesus

I agree.

I don't think Daniel came across prejudiced at all. In fact, adding this story to the one about the guys who approached him offering leather jackets in exchange for money, I find his openness refreshing. But I fear for a bit for his safety, and that has nothing to do with race.

Frank
Old 03-10-2005, 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Must the religious complain about everything?

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, as much as I see statements like this, I think a lot more people complain about the religious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. I like how nonreligious people criticize religious people for being narrow minded. Hi Mr. Pot, I am Mr. Kettle.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think Daniel came across prejudiced at all. In fact, adding this story to the one about the guys who approached him offering leather jackets in exchange for money, I find his openness refreshing. But I fear for a bit for his safety, and that has nothing to do with race.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually agree with you both believe it or not particularly after re-reading his post once again. I still think it was a little strange but it seems he was making a comment about society or at least his perception of society.

I will say the guy is honest about his life, almost painfully so at times, and that is strangely refreshing most of the time. He is obviously searching for more in life beyond the material and watching his public growth can be embarassing to him and painful to witness. I think he has made a bad choice in embracing a form of Christianity that denies science but it is his choice. If it helps him achieve peace it isn't all bad though I guess.

It is just disapointing when seemingly intelligent people buy in to what is most likely at best fantasy.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"As long as people are good to others, I don't care what caused them to incorporate that into their philosophy."

Barry

I have two problems with that statement. Firstly I think it is a bit selfish. Most people would like to live in a world where the rest of the population, especially non friends and family, can be guaranteed to be nice even if that means they must believe in nonsense to get that way. But it would be more selfless to wish eveybody wisdom even if that slightly (but not greatly) increases the chances for a few bad apples.

My second problem is that the nonsensical beliefs of religion don't really always make people be good to each other. Often they simply make them more, shall we say, "polite". Their deeper feelings are apt to cause more harm to people in general than the fact that they are nice during one to one encounters.

About 1960 I was driving with my family from NY to Miami. We stopped one night in Jessup, Georgia. I asked to go bowling in a nice facility they had there. The waiting list was long and we reluctantly started to leave. The manager rushed after us and said that he would put us on the top of the list and I was delighted. The manager said he was sure no one on the list would object. We took him up on his offer but my father felt it was necessary to say to me "David, what you just experienced is what they call 'Southern Hospitality'. And that's nice. But you must not forget that these same people who seem so nice will not let Negroes in here to bowl. And remember earlier when you were shocked that the restrooms in the gas stations said Men, Women, Colored. And that the Colored was not kept clean and that there was no separation for men and women. These same people in here who let you bowl think that is fine. Know that the reason this is happening probably isn't because they are bad people. It is more likely because they are simply IGNORANT." I never forgot that little speech.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there a point I missed anywhere in this post?
Old 03-10-2005, 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Must the religious complain about everything?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is the secularists who need to sue anyone who mentions God in public or city governments that allow a rock with the Ten Commandment's to sit in front of buildings.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:59 AM

I find it offensive that many Hispanic people name their children Jesus.

Wait, no I'm not.

Silliness....
Old 03-10-2005, 04:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I live in Hawaii and the island chain was created by a rift in the oceans floor where magma has been ooozing out for millions of years. In a sense Hawaii is on a giant island making conveyor belt. The most northern islands have eroded while the largest island in the chain, Hawaii, is furthest to the south and is still growing. There is a new island being formed,Loihi Seamount, as we speak. It is expected to break the surface within the next 100,000 years. For me there is no better proof than this. Take a look at a map and you will see what I mean. There is no way this could have happened other than through the tectonic plates shifting over the "hot spot". and this process has taken millions of years.

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't read my post. I am a christian, and being brought up through Christian school, I got spoon fed the 6-day creation view, and that was all I knew. After becoming really educated, I maybe lean towards God creating the world 'through' evolution (6-days in the bible could mean a whole lot of other things.)

I no where in my post said that I specifically believe either had been proven.

That being said, society is spoon fed evolutional theories as well. Schools teach it, it is taught as fact. But how many have really done research in it? 'Evolutionists' don't have an answer for human and dinosaur remains found at the same time period and many other things, but 'creationists' don't have an answer for many things (I have no debate for your Hawaii statement, for example off the top of my head).

Just because it's all that most of us have been exposed to doesn't make it right. Guess that's all I'm trying to say.

Brad
Old 03-10-2005, 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
From Dan Negreanu's website. Allegations of blasphemy or not? What do you think?

"Well, I'm not so sure about that. First of all Barry doesn't believe in Heaven, Hell, or God for that matter. He is a proud atheist along with Chris Ferguson. Both men mocking the idea that there is a God claiming that there is no contemporary evidence to prove Jesus' existence.

I remember talking to Chris Ferguson about it one night and he looked at me like I was delusional. I was trying to explain to him that calling himself Jesus, especially considering his beliefs, is very offensive to the majority of this country."

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Mr. Negreanu overstates his case. While it's no doubt true that Chris Ferguson's nickname is offensive to some Americans, to say that it's "very" offensive to the "majority" is probably going too far.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And remember earlier when you were shocked that the restrooms in the gas stations said Men, Women, Colored. And that the Colored was not kept clean and that there was no separation for men and women.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a droll twist, a respected Yale Law scholar now argues that separation for men and women in single-use restrooms is tantamount to discrimination:

Ian Ayres on single-use restrooms
Old 03-10-2005, 05:30 AM

Your advice to Daniel is well-intentioned, but you underestimate the ability of creationists to problematize the issue. It is not difficult to see how an otherwise intelligent person can believe in a young earth:

Grand Canyon creationist review