Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 10:38 PM

Default Moving from cashing out to bankroll building

When I first began playing no-limit poker online for a reasonable amount of money, I'd only put 4 or 5x the buy-in, and cash out the entire thing when I felt like it. For the entirety of last summer, I played this way, usually doubling my money and taking a week or two off. During breaks from school, I would also play this way. This year I graduated, and as a result I'm looking to build a bankroll to play in higher games, rather than to have some extra spending money.

When I was playing in this 'unprofessional' fashion, the money really meant something because it meant DVDs, nice alcohol, taking a shot at 2-5 NL in AC, and so on. But now that I'm trying to build a .25/.50 NL bankroll into a 1/2 bankroll, I find myself calling a lot more, firing second barrels when I shouldn't, etc. I'm trying to outplay my opposition rather than win more money. I've been frustrated by my ability to build a bankroll as well: in the last six weeks I've fluctuated from $800 to $1300 with no consistent gains, so I now see my goal of building that bankroll as unattainable.

I was wondering if anyone's been through this transition and and how they got through it. I've been tempted to move other money into my BR just so I can play at a higher limit, but I'm not so sure I should with how sub-optimally I've been playing lately.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Moving from cashing out to bankroll building

There shouldn't be any difference in your game strategy if you're buidling a bankroll or just looking to skim profits on a regular basis. In both instances you are trying to earn U.S. currency that can be redeemed at any time.

If you're looking to play 1/2 then $700 should be enough. $1300 is enough for 2/4. Even if you're playing smart poker, six weeks of break even or slight downswing is brutal but not totally out of the norm.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're looking to play 1/2 then $700 should be enough. $1300 is enough for 2/4.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this. If the buyin is 100xBB, 3.5 buyins is nowhere near enough to play optimally in a NL game. 10-20 times the buyin is a good rule of thumb for a winning player.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:28 PM

Right, of course, thought it was Limit 1/2
Old 06-01-2005, 02:12 PM

Try 50 buy ins, and I think 30 is minimum. I mean, if you really are going for the long term and want to handle the swings that NL can dish out, don't skimp on the buy-ins. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-01-2005, 08:59 PM

There shouldn't be a difference, but there is. One has tangible benefits, the other is more of a long-term goal. I keep thinking that I am going to make $3K that I will never use, because it will be part of my bankroll.

50 buy-ins is really unnecessary. 15-20 is fine. Poker is not right now my sole income and I do not have many expenses. If I had to drop down in limits or add money to my bankroll, I could.

Tonight I moved up in limits and made a buy-in and a half, after swinging down a buy-in and a half. That's too high-variance: I think I will play one .50/1 table and two .25/.50 from now on.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:52 AM

if youre trying to outplay your opposition then youre maximizing your ev to the best of your abilities. trying to outplay your opposition by putting yourself into -ev situations really isnt outplaying them is it?
Old 06-01-2005, 02:07 PM

If you're going to play NL make sure you have 50 buy ins. You can do a few less, but you'll be happy if you have all 50.