Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2005, 11:56 PM

Default B+M etiquette????

Whenever playing in person, i'll ask to see a player's cards a reasonable percentage of the time when he calls me down and tries to muck them...

i generally get a rude response after a while from both the player or the surrounding players, whether it be comments under the breathe or dirty looks... (keep in mind i don't do it every hand, only when i'm truly intrigued by someone's turn play etc..., or i really really dislike them)

is there some etiquette that i'm missing here??? as far as i'm concerned it is my right, and they shouldn't call down if they don't want their cards to be seen... just wondering if i was being a complete a-hole or not
Old 12-05-2005, 12:06 AM

Default Re: B+M etiquette????

[ QUOTE ]

is there some etiquette that i'm missing here??? as far as i'm concerned it is my right, and they shouldn't call down if they don't want their cards to be seen... just wondering if i was being a complete a-hole or not

[/ QUOTE ]

It is considered impolite, and some people take offense. Also, this post belongs in the B&M forum.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:08 AM

oops... didn't know there was one... as it says... "newbie"
thanks though
Old 12-05-2005, 12:08 AM

Some guy just called you down with a losing hand. He's giving you money and, to him, you're rubbing it in by asking to see his cards. Really, don't do it.

Yes, it is your right. But play long enough and you'll get to see the hands he calls down with.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:13 AM

thanks... like i said, i don't do it terribly often... only when my opponents hand range widens greatly by the time he calls the river...

however, if someone pisses me off and i want to rub it in i'll do it every time...

was just wondering about the others though... guess i'll leave it to my imagination from now on...
thanks for the input
Old 12-05-2005, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
however, if someone pisses me off and i want to rub it in i'll do it every time...

[/ QUOTE ]

There are better ways to tilt people who deserve to be tilted. Like asking them to help you stack their chips, that's a good one.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:28 AM

lmao, i'll save that one for someone special
Old 12-05-2005, 12:28 AM

My dad taught me how to play poker when I was pretty young. He always taught me that if a person calls down, they don't have to show their cards. If a person bets and gets called, they do have to show if the caller wants them to. In his mind, the caller "paid to see his cards". Not sure what the normal stance is on this topic, but I'm pretty sure that the only time you're supposed to be able to have a hand shown that the player didn't show voluntarily is if collusion or other cheating is suspected. Do a search on the reasoning behind the "I want to see that hand" rule. It should come up if you search "IWTSTH".
Old 12-05-2005, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If a person bets and gets called, they do have to show if the caller wants them to.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why you don't expose your hand after calling. If you call, you don't call and say "pair of sevens" You call, let him show his hand, then either table the winner or throw it away.

Oftentimes people will ask to see someone's hand when friends are in the pot together and he gets raised off his hand. So it goes, idiot bets, your friend raises, you 3-bet, idiot folds and says "I'd like to see the hands when its over." If there's a showdown, he gets to see both hands. If there isn't, he doesn't get to see anything.This is much more reasonable a request than asking someone to see a loser. Especially one he lost to you.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:50 AM

lmao, i thought you were kidding with the IWTSTH search, but it's legit... ty