Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 09:04 PM

Default Re: Josh Beckett to the Red Sox

this doesnt sound good from my perspective
Old 11-21-2005, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
gammons just on espnews saying deal is done pending physical. he also said that marlins wanted hanley very badly and had to trade one of their 3 best pitchers. he likes the rotation in Boston for the 5 years considering they 3 have of the best young pitchers in baseball on their staff.

he also said he wouldn't be surprised to see Theo back in Boston

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 11-21-2005, 09:17 PM

i dunno, its kind of hard to tell whether this is good or bad for the sox because i dont really know much about hanley or the other prospect (or about the value of any minor league prospects). on one hand josh beckett is a great young pitcher, but on the other he has been pitching in the NL, he is not very durable and lands on the DL and doesn't pitch very many innings, and the sox are going to have to pay mike lowell tons of money.

looking around on SoSH I am seeing stuff like "Hanley wasn't that good anyway" and on nyyfans people are saying "Josh Beckett is just not very good, Yankees win!".
Old 11-21-2005, 09:25 PM

the only stat that matters there is one game 6 of the 03 WS...
Old 11-21-2005, 09:29 PM

i dunno, its kind of hard to tell whether this is good or bad for the sox because i dont really know much about hanley or the other prospect

lol, its a good deal. it would take extreme creativity to show otherwise.

on one hand josh beckett is a great young pitcher,

ok

he is not very durable and lands on the DL and doesn't pitch very many innings,

does he also get hurt a lot? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

nyyfans people are saying "Josh Beckett is just not very good, Yankees win!".

which shows how bright the posters are on that site.

how would this be ANYTHING but bad for the NYY? the red sox gave up two players who were not going to be contributors for at least the next 1.5 seasons and get an INSTANT stud #2 starter. FLA is giving the sox cash for lowell and he is a above average defensive player at the very least.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nyyfans people are saying "Josh Beckett is just not very good, Yankees win!".

which shows how bright the posters are on that site.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was making fun of them. They're fools.

[ QUOTE ]
the red sox gave up two players who were not going to be contributors for at least the next 1.5 seasons

[/ QUOTE ]

Not too long ago I remember Hanley being referred to as a crown jewel and whatnot, I am hearing a lot of revisionism by red sox fans.

[ QUOTE ]
FLA is giving the sox cash for lowell and he is a above average defensive player at the very least.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, youre spinning that extremely hard.

My initial reaction to this was that it is good for the red sox, by no means am I saying its a bad trade. Just writing some pro's and cons. Sorry if my posts are badly written but I'm busy.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
jack-

is there any historical precedence for a situation like lowell's? that dip in productuin last year was astounding considering he is still real close to peak age.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really not that uncommon for a 3B to do it. Take Corey Koskie. Lowell was 31 last year; they tend to get beat up and all. Of course, Lowell's was more exaggerated than Koskie's but you get the point.

Historically, I'm not sure but I doubt it's really rare. Maybe not quite as drastic, of course.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
jack-

is there any historical precedence for a situation like lowell's? that dip in productuin last year was astounding considering he is still real close to peak age.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really not that uncommon for a 3B to do it. Take Corey Koskie. Lowell was 31 last year; they tend to get beat up and all. Of course, Lowell's was more exaggerated than Koskie's but you get the point.

Historically, I'm not sure but I doubt it's really rare. Maybe not quite as drastic, of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

BP has him as an above average defensive player (RAA) but i hear that is a metric that is dwarfed in usefullness by UZR.

there are slight rumblings that the twins have some interest in him.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Not too long ago I remember Hanley being referred to as a crown jewel and whatnot, I am hearing a lot of revisionism by red sox fans.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hanley's star lost quite a bit of luster over the last few seasons as he struggled in the minors and had concerns raised about his work ethic. Also, the Sox are already (over)paying a shortstop for the next three years, and as noted have Pedroia waiting as well.

I think this is a fine trade. Beckett's peripherals are outstanding, and he's only 25 years old. The Sox dealt from a position of strength. I'm happy.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:31 AM

Hanley Razmirez is the 'real deal' tool-wise.

I've seen him play a number of times and what he can do in the field is truly amazing.

It remains to be seen as to whether he can transfer all of his ability to results at the major league level, but if I had to bet on it, I would bet that he will.

Marlins fans may not like giving up a front line pitcher right now for him.......Let's see how they feel a year or so from now.