Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 02:58 AM

Default Crazy pinapple... what to let go of

Halloween night, myself and some others are playing 4/8 crazy pinapple with a full kill at the Wynn. We are 6 handed, and the game is very loose, as we are drinking quite a bit. I am on the button with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], and we are in a kill pot. The "kill" is the big blind. He, though loosening up as well, is not comfortable with crazy pinapple, so he is playing quite tight, but aggressive as well. When he raised preflop, expect extreme quality, something that the rest of us tended to lack when raising. Our postflop game was pretty hold-em standard, and I knew this player from hold em games, and knew that when he raised, particularly check raised, he had the goods.

UTG folds, the rest of the table limps to me, I limp, and the blinds call and check. The flop comes:
J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Checked to me, I bet, SB folds, BB calls, everyone else folds. Now we have a decision. Top pair top kicker with a nut flush draw seems delicious, but top two is top two. I almost immediately tossed the 10, but keep in mind I was not in the best state of mind. However, does dropping the 10 make sense?

Let's see what we are up against. I have seen this player smooth call with a set or strait here, and then jam on the turn, particularly when no flush draw falls. He might also just be calling with a bare J. However, knowing this player, he would typically bet into a field like this with a J, or check raise when I bet to burn out the gutters. Therefore, I can be up against: a strait, a flush draw, a flopped set, or two pair, possibly J7. In most of those cases I am already behind, and am drawing pretty live to win. If I kept the 10, I am only beating two pair or just a J. However, if he has a flush draw, I just threw away my block outs, and on top of that, I would be winning with my J already anyway.

So, the turn is a J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] He checks, I bet, and he raises. I immediately hate myself for dropping the 10, but I call. For the arguments above, I felt a three-bet would be terrible here. I might be drawing to only 4 outs... if that. The river is the 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], he bets and I call.

Anything wrong with my analysis here?
Old 11-02-2005, 04:19 AM

Default Re: Crazy pinapple... what to let go of

[ QUOTE ]
The "kill" is the big blind. He, though loosening up as well, is not comfortable with crazy pinapple, so he is playing quite tight, but aggressive as well. When he raised preflop, expect extreme quality, something that the rest of us tended to lack when raising.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Let's see what we are up against. I have seen this player smooth call with a set or strait here, and then jam on the turn, particularly when no flush draw falls

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not clear to me how much Pineapple BB has played. When you say "extreme quality," are you referring to pineapple hands or hold 'em hands? A lot of hold 'em players who would be uncomfortable with pineapple are going to over-value big pairs.

In the hand you describe, against multiple opponents I'd keep the pair/nut flush draw, Heads up, especially against a hold 'em player, I'd keep the two pair, thinking that BB might have an over pair. His check raise of the turn is interesting.