Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 12:28 AM

Default Re: proposing a question to check raising to 800ish on the flop..

[ QUOTE ]
Why would you call a shove if you checkraise? Every part of the hand screams he has JJ, KK, AA or possibly TT. If he shove its an easy fold. If he calls and the turn blanks, you have a trickier decision but I still think I checkfold.

Other than that, I probably checkfold or betfold the flop. Checkfolding is not bad at all, I don't care if he had 77 this time.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol cmon man no sh1t i fold to a shove i already said that. im just making it clear as to what the other posters meant, because i can never tell what the hell some of you people are getting at. holla
Old 10-03-2005, 12:47 AM

Default Re: Stars 500k QQ hand.. ummm

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
as for betting the river? i duno i didnt wanna check fold, but i could have i guess.. why i bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
for value

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope this is a joke. Alright, this idiot called with 77 but there is essentially no worse hand that is calling and essentially no better hand that is folding. I can't come up with a reason to bet the river. Especially given the guy's willingness to bet so little.

Frankly I think the OP played the hand fine except for the river bet (which as I said above I think is awful). Check-raising the flop is fine too. My only question is what to do if the guy puts out a real bet on the turn. Given the way we got to the river, I'm checking and folding to any reasonably sized bet, probably paying off anything 200 or less.

Steve
Old 10-03-2005, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
as for betting the river? i duno i didnt wanna check fold, but i could have i guess.. why i bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
for value

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope this is a joke. Alright, this idiot called with 77 but there is essentially no worse hand that is calling and essentially no better hand that is folding. I can't come up with a reason to bet the river. Especially given the guy's willingness to bet so little.

Frankly I think the OP played the hand fine except for the river bet (which as I said above I think is awful). Check-raising the flop is fine too. My only question is what to do if the guy puts out a real bet on the turn. Given the way we got to the river, I'm checking and folding to any reasonably sized bet, probably paying off anything 200 or less.

Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

i chceck fold if he bets like 450+ on the turn. less than that i start cursing, and prolly end up folding. as for betting the river? do you want to check fold here? the 500 is a blocking bet. duno why but it felt right. holla
Old 10-03-2005, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
for value

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

i chceck fold if he bets like 450+ on the turn. less than that i start cursing, and prolly end up folding. as for betting the river? do you want to check fold here? the 500 is a blocking bet. duno why but it felt right. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I don't mind the idea behind the blocking bet but I think the problem I have is it's too big. The guy has shown a willingness to make tiny bets. So either make your blocking bet smaller or check and see if he makes another small one. If he bets a reasonable amount on the river, I think you can fold very safely.

Steve
Old 10-03-2005, 01:00 AM

Default Re: another thought..

[ QUOTE ]
would anyone else in the world be crazy enough to check fold this flop? cuz it was a strong consideration. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

*COUGH WEAK TIGHT COUGH* DONT BE PHIL HELLMUTH!!!
Old 10-03-2005, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
would anyone else in the world be crazy enough to check fold this flop? cuz it was a strong consideration. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

Not me. I simply don't give minraises that much credit. Anyone donkish enough to actually minraise with a monster would probably be weird enough to do it with 77 or A8s. His range is still pretty wide, so I'm still happy with my Queenies.

[ QUOTE ]
do you call a shove after making it 800 on the flop? if yes, explain why. is the argument on that to be oh yer beat he shoved fold. i duno im not sure what yall are saying. if i check raised the flop, i fully intended to fold to a shove. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea I intend to fold. Everything about the hand tells me that he will not be pushing there unless I'm beat. I don't see how he can fathom getting you off of your hand there. The point is you look like you aren't going anywhere, so he is forced to play his cards for what they're worth. Obviously there are exceptions, i.e. he's an uberdonk who thinks his KJ is still good or he has a read on you and loves to get feisty etc etc, but the vast majority of the time I think this line gets you out of this pot as smoothly as possible.

Everett
Old 10-03-2005, 01:02 AM

I absolutely hate the river "blocking bet". What the hell are you blocking? All better hands still call. Worse hands now don't bluff at you. Ugh.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i might but i think id prefer to bet/fold
Old 10-03-2005, 01:36 AM

Raptor,

If you had AJ here, a lot of posters would say check/call flop and lead the turn. Since QQ is the next hand up from AJ here, I think that line would work here as well. Typically with this line, you don't have to commit as much as you would with a check/raise on the flop, and if they raise the turn they generally have AJ (or QQ in this case) beat.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:47 AM

I said i would because TT,JJ,KK,AA all have you beat. How many other hands reraise?