Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2005, 10:33 AM

Default What u need the GoD for?

I will try to explain what i mean in that question.

For every idea that we use in science, there is some phenomenon that this idea come to explain. we say that something "exist" if we can measure it. For example "Electron"
Its true that in our life we use a lot of words and ideas that not reflect the reality. For example the word "perfect" is not describe something in reality, its only a word that we define to dexcribe something unexplainable (=some illusion).

So what lack in the reality that we see the "GOD" idea come to fulfil? One can say that we need the "GOD" idea to explain the world existence. but thats wrong because the same things that we say on god we can say on "world itself". (not need to mention that the world itseld is not the world that we see).
So maybe "GOD" needed to explain the mind existence? but thats ridiculous, because the "GOD" idea add nothing to our understanding ourself, so we actually solve nothing.

so why so many ppl use the word GOD? First it cant be from logical reasoning, becasue most people r not capable for that... so its turn out to be from psychological reasons...
Old 08-25-2005, 10:55 AM

Default Re: What u need the GoD for?

[ QUOTE ]

So what lack in the reality that we see the "GOD" idea come to fulfil?

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all in your post you make the assumption that God is an idea man invented. I believe that man is a creature that God created.

As to the lack that God fills philosophically I don't believe you can justify meaning, purpose and morality in an atheistic worldview.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:43 PM

I think what he's trying to say is that whether or not you believe in God, the result is the same.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:36 PM

Pif has been added to prayer list.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

So what lack in the reality that we see the "GOD" idea come to fulfil?

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all in your post you make the assumption that God is an idea man invented. I believe that man is a creature that God created.

As to the lack that God fills philosophically I don't believe you can justify meaning, purpose and morality in an atheistic worldview.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does religion justify true meaning or true purpose in our lives? Using a judeo-christian religion, the best i can really show is that we are a science project or toy. I'm really very curious to how you see it.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:24 PM

"Man's cheif end is to glorify God, and to enjoy Him for ever"-
taken from the shorter catechism.

We were created by God for his glory, not just as a scientific experiment. God wants us to enjoy life as our enjoying life while still obeying his law, doing such brings Him glory.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:28 PM

If you assume the existence of an afterlife, wouldn't the possible existence of God take on more meaning for you?

Even if not, then regardless of how people might view God as important in their lives, the existence of God answers the question for them for which I presume you have no answer: What was the origin of the primordial quantum singularity that was the source of the Big Bang? Even Stephen Hawking asnwers that question "God", although he does not believe in a personal god.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this is true, but I'm not sure. Would someone like to attempt to disprove this? Mr. Sklansky, maybe?
Old 08-25-2005, 09:49 PM

"As to the lack that God fills philosophically I don't believe you can justify meaning, purpose and morality in an atheistic worldview."

"I believe this is true, but I'm not sure. Would someone like to attempt to disprove this? Mr. Sklansky, maybe?"

Huh? Go stand in the corner for not paying attention.