Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2005, 07:59 AM

Default Body-Mind Problem:

(sorry for my wrong english)

how it can be that 2 diferent kind of "things" r connected to each other? the physical world, and the mental world?
the problem is that if they both "realy exist" than it cant be that they interact one with other because they r different kind of things (thats the meaning of diferent kind, that they dont have something in common that it must for the interaction posibility).

thats why i think that we can choose only in one option from 2:
1) the physical world is the real existence, and the mind is illusion (but than the problem arise about us..and thats kind of argument is almost unthinkable)
2) the mental world is the real exitence and the phsyical is only illusion, a dream. (but then we cant realy get a proper explanation of science phenomenon)

(a third option that nothing exist is also possible but unthinkable)
my opinion is tilt to #1 choice. we r illusion, we wasnt, we will not, therefor WE R NOT EXIST! [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2005, 09:07 AM

Default Re: Body-Mind Problem:

You may not be able to help your English but I think you do know enough to use the word "are" rather than the childish "r". I also think you know enough to capitalize the first letter at the beginning of a sentence. not doing so is as bad as not using periods it makes it hard to read

PairTheBoard
Old 08-25-2005, 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You may not be able to help your English but I think you do know enough to use the word "are" rather than the childish "r". I also think you know enough to capitalize the first letter at the beginning of a sentence. not doing so is as bad as not using periods it makes it hard to read

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

Most arrogant and ignorant post I have ever read.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

must be new
Old 08-25-2005, 09:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I was being kind and truthful in pointing those things out to him. He's made 80 posts and evidently no one else has cared enough to tell him. When people post here using chat room protocol somebody should tell them this is the wrong place for it.

ok, maybe my tone was unfriendly. For that I apologize.

PairTheBoard
Old 08-25-2005, 09:43 AM

You could send me a private message.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You could send me a private message.

[/ QUOTE ]

Point taken.

PairTheBoard
Old 08-25-2005, 09:47 AM

The post turn out to be Pif-English problem.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the problem is that if they both "realy exist" than it cant be that they interact one with other because they r different kind of things

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree that the mind and the body are obviously two different "kinds of things".

The physical world is only experienced by us though the net of our consciousness. So in fact either: A. We are incapable of determining anything outside of our mental experiences (Mind>Body) or B. the physical universe is congruent with our mental systems, probably because they are made outta the same stuff (Mind=body).

Or: C. Some other thing or combination. I’m just a MA, go ask the pros!

In any event, we exist.
Good luck with the ESL lesson!
Old 08-25-2005, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
pif --
<font color="white"> .. </font>
how it can be that 2 diferent kind of "things" r connected to each other? the physical world, and the mental world?
the problem is that if they both "realy exist" than it cant be that they interact one with other because they r different kind of things (thats the meaning of diferent kind, that they dont have something in common that it must for the interaction posibility).

[/ QUOTE ]

It was also easier for me to point out the writing flaws than to tackle the the problem you presented. Are the mental world and physical world "different kinds of things"? I think the materialists here would say they are Not different kinds of things. They would say the mental world just consists of a network of elecro-chemical reactions. Even some religious people might say the mind is subject to physical laws while the Soul is not. My feeling is that there's more going on with the mind than the materialists say, but I don't know what it is.

But if there is more going on with the mind than its physical ground, I never thought about whether that presents a problem for it interacting with it's physical ground. My guess is that whatever nonphysical thing there might be about the mind that we don't understand, our lack of understanding would includes its abilility to interact with the physical.

btw, Your pif-English is fine and I'm sure will improve with practice. I admire anyone who can learn more than one language as I have never been able to.

PairTheBoard