Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2005, 09:46 PM

Default AQo hand

Villian is 23/8/1.2 and the two limpers before him are both fish

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, MP calls, Button calls.

Flop: (12.40 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP folds, Button calls.

Turn: (7.70 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, Button thinks a while and then calls.

River: (9.70 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 9.70 BB

1) do you 3bet preflop?
2) do you bet the river?
Old 08-21-2005, 09:52 PM

Default Re: AQo hand

preflop 3 bet is pretty standard unless you have like 500 hands on the pfr and he's not raising there with less then QQ, AK.

on the river you should check and possibly call if the player is tricky. against him i'd probably fold as i'd put him on calling down with a pocket pair.

i dont think a river bet makes him laydown any hand you beat because the board is really safe (what hands with a J are you 3betting with) and he's getting good odds to call.

stealthcow-
Old 08-21-2005, 09:53 PM

Isn't 8 low for a 6-max game? Are these only 6 max stats? I know against normal 6-max tags we don't fold here but if this guy is only an 8pfr I think it has to be considered...

Anyways, bet the river, b/c it looks like he's got AK and maybe he'll fold it.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:54 PM

If I'm going to call a bet anyway on the river then why not be the one who's making the bet?
Old 08-21-2005, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't 8 low for a 6-max game? Are these only 6 max stats? I know against normal 6-max tags we don't fold here but if this guy is only an 8pfr I think it has to be considered...

Anyways, bet the river, b/c it looks like he's got AK and maybe he'll fold it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes these are only 6max stats and 8 is very low for 6max.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:58 PM

I don't 3 bet preflop if you have a significant number of hands on him. 8% is pretty low. He might only raise something like ATs+, Aqo+, TT+, KQs with limpers. (assuming he loosens up a little when opening in late position) You don't do all that well against that range and you are out of position. On the other hand, the two fish do mean you probably have pretty good equity.

I would not bet the river either. The only worse hand I can see him ever calling with is AT. I don't think he folds AK at this point either. I would actually give some thought to folding the river if he bet.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:05 PM

I had about 150 hands on this player when I played this hand against him.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:08 PM

150 hands would be enough for me to call, but I think it is a marginal decision either way.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I'm going to call a bet anyway on the river then why not be the one who's making the bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

A consideration here is often whether or not you can induce a bet from a worse hand... and potentially vs a worse hand that may bluff raise you. However sometimes you could be value betting against a weaker ace... or potentally getting a AK to fold. Sometimes a check/fold is in order. Much of the decision lies with your read on your opponents likely holding/ tendencies.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:26 AM

Based on his tight/passive stats, which is all I know about him in this hand, I don't think I can induce many bluffs on this river but I might be able to make AK fold enough times to make it profitable to bet. I'm certainly not worried about being bluff raised so the fold is easy if he does raise me.