Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2005, 07:05 PM

Default EPT Deauville - Day 1

Day 1:

245 entrants, we draw for seats and I get seated two to the left of Noah Boeken (Exclusive on stars, winner of previous EPT event). I’ve played against Noah on stars and have never thought him to be too scary, but I know he’s had some good results and he’s a student of Marcel’s so I assume the guy can play. I don’t recognize anyone else at my table.

My table starts out 9 handed and I do a lot of folding. This being a 2000 euro event is the biggest buy in tournament I’ve ever played. It’s also my first time starting out with 10,000 chips (good structure with 60 min rounds).

My first big hand comes when I get QQ in LP. Laggy but good asian guy opens UTG to 200 (25-50), folds to me and I make it 700. He calls pretty quickly. I’ve gathered that UTG has played a hand full of big buy in tournaments. Noah kidded him about being a scary player to have at his table. The only hand I’ve seen the guy play was when he completed the SB with AQc, check raised the limper on a AK8 two club flop, then check raised again on the turn when he made his flush. He now has about 20K after doubling up on that hand.

Flop comes down J73, two diamonds. I don’t have the Qd. He checks, I bet 800, he c/r’s to 2000. I think for a second and call. Turn is 6o, he checks. I now get stuck on the only hand I’ve seen him play and fear another check raise is coming. Of course this is a totally different scenario and I think I need to bet here, but I thought about how much I was going to hate it if I make a bet and he check raises. I would obviously have to fold in that situation and the pot is around 5K so I’d need to bet at least 2.5K on the turn. I decide to check behind thinking I’m going to call a reasonable river bet. The river is the 3d, completing the flush. He confidently leads out 3K. I now take a minute to think it through again and feel I can only beat a bluff. I put him on AA, KK, a set, a flush, or a bluff. I decide 3K is too much and fold, pissed at myself for not betting the turn. I later got to talking to this guy a bit as we were involved in some more hands together. He told me (and not to the whole table) he had QQ on this hand, and I believe him.

I fold some more and start to feel like I have a good read on most everyone at the table. Noah seems tricky, making some very strange plays. He likes to limp a lot with the blinds small. An interesting hand that I was not involved in happened when Noah opened in EP. I think blinds were 75-150 by this point, and he made it 400 or 450. the guy right behind him called, we haven’t seen much from this guy since he’s relatively new to the table. Flop is T76, two clubs. Noah bets 400, other guy makes it like 1600, Noah doesn’t take long in calling. Turn is 6o, check, bets over 3K leaving himself with 2K exactly, Noah calls. River is offsuit undercard, check, all in for 2K, call. Other guy flips over ATh and Noah mucks. A couple days later when I met Noah away from the table I asked him about the hand and he said he had KT.

With a very tight image I open with AJs utg for 450. I get two late position callers and Noah in the SB goes all in for about 2100 more. With about 8K total, I fold and the first caller goes all for 6 or 7K more, the next caller is the asian guy from the QQ hand. He agonizes for a while and folds AKs face up. Noah has TT and other guy has 22. The flop has a deuce, but the turn is a T.

Asian dude limps for 200, I complete in the SB with 44, around 8K. Flop is K43r. I check, weak BB bets 400, Asian dude who looks like he wants to raise calls, I call. Turn is 5. I check, BB bets 400, Asian dude makes it 3K more, I move all in. BB folds, Asian dude agonizes for a while, worried he let me hit a gutshot. He ends up folding.

Blinds 100-200, I open for 600 in MP with TT. Button calls, as well as BB (asian dude). Flop comes down Q65, two diamonds. I bet 1200, button calls, BB folds. I’m think there’s a good chance I’m ahead here since the button has fast played all his big hands on the flop. Turn is 8o. I bet 2200 and he folds KQ face up. A couple hands later he asks me about the hand, “AQ?” I tell him, “I had AQ beat”, but I’m pretty sure I had a smirk as I said it and was not very convincing.

Last hand before dinner break, goose limps in MP, button limps, I complete SB with J9 spades. Blinds still 100-200. Flop is T88, two clubs. I check with a high probability of check raising, it checks around. Turn is 6h, creating a second flush draw. I bet 400, goose calls and button puts out his four chips to call but they include three 100 chips and one 500 chip, so he min raises. It’s very obvious that he meant to call by the way he kind of reached back once he saw the 500 chip. Goose comments “I wonder if he saw that”, referring to me. Goose seems weak like he doesn’t want me to raise. Goose only has around 5K more, button 6K. I consider putting in a big reraise but decide against it. River is the Qh, making my straight but completing the back door flush draw, and since there wasn’t a bet on the flop one of them could easily have it. I check, goose bets 2K of his remaining 4500, button folds. I contemplate a bit and decide there is a good enough chance that he’s bluffing or making a bad bet. I also have a comfortable stack and will be left with around 13k if I’m wrong. He looks disgusted when I call saying something about how I must have the 8, “or that” when I flip it over.

I’m up to ~21K at the dinner break and feeling good.

I get off to a really fast start coming back from dinner. I take the blinds a couple times, then I call a EMP raise with 99 and call a flop bet when I smell weakness on a AK5 two spaded board. Turn is the 3s, he checks and I bet about a third of the pot and take it down.

I open with 33 in MP, folds to tight BB who I think is a woman named Lucy who I’ve seen on late night poker before. Flop is AKK. I decide to check behind on the flop. I do this for a couple reasons; it can make it look a bit more like I flopped something huge, and if she has a K I can maybe win a big pot if a 3 comes off. I plan on betting the turn if she checks, but she leads out. I think about raising and representing a big one, but decide to let it go-mainly for the sake of my image. I had been playing pretty fast since the dinner break and I thought it would help me out if I could convince them that I wasn’t going to bet a missed flop after raising preflop.

New guy sits down and two to my right and in his third hand at the table he makes it 1000 UTG (150-300), UTG+1 moves all in for 4500, I look at KK UTG+2 and try to make it 10K but bring out 11K and didn’t declare 10, so I have to make it 11, doesn’t change anything though. Folds to UTG who immediately moves in for 3 something more. I start to feel a little sick but obviously call. Our hands remain unturned while the dealer is figuring something out with the stacks. I start to feel a bit better thinking that if UTG had AA he would just turn it over, and he didn’t seem to be in any hurry. But of course when the dealer asks to see all hands he flips over AA, short stack has 55. Short stack hits his 5 but I can’t get any help. This puts me down to 15K and leaves my mind racing about how I was almost up to 50K. It’s really hard to for me to stop thinking about it. I’m hoping I don’t get dealt a hand so I can just fold for a bit and get my head straight. It takes 10-15 min, but I start to feel better. Unfortunately I missed nearly every hand that was played during that stretch and I don’t feel like I know the flow of the table at the moment.

I raise AK in MP, short stack goes all in right behind me for 3K or so. He has 99 and it holds up. I get down under 10K at one point after raising, being reraised and having to fold. I steal some blinds and end up at 16.5K at the end of the day.

colson10
Old 02-24-2005, 08:00 PM

Default Re: EPT Deauville - Day 1

Great report, keep it coming.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
folds to tight BB who I think is a woman named Lucy who I’ve seen on late night poker before

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like Lucy Rokach who, by all accounts, is one of the best tournament players in Europe.

Great report BTW.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:17 AM

Yeah nice report. I'm looking forward to hearing the rest.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:24 PM

thanks for the report, fun read. Good luck and hopefully you'll have a report all the way to the final table
Old 02-25-2005, 08:30 PM

He actually did post almost all the way through the FT here:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...14&fpart=1