Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2005, 08:57 PM

Default Re: College

What I did, kind of, is deciding what my top three choices of majors would likley be. I then got catologs on any schools I thought I would be interested in attending. If you are going to a school that is in a State School System they may have some catalogs that combine all the schools in the system together. Looking at this you can see what schools offer what your interested in. So it would list like Major A, Major B, Major C. School X offers A, and C not B. School Y offers A and B, not C, and so on. Otherwise each school will have their own catolog, or you can look it up at the university's website. So then you can narrow down the list of schools your interested in, to ones that offer degrees your interested in. Then go out and visit the schools, and see what they offer. You can get an idea what it is like on campus, and if there will be activities and stuff that interest you.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I'm going to be a senior next year in high school, mind pointing me what should I consider and figure out before applying to colleges next year?

[/ QUOTE ]

That depends on your goals in life.

[ QUOTE ]
What helped you decide where you wanted to go?

[/ QUOTE ]

Location and size.

[ QUOTE ]
How did you go about applying to colleges?

[/ QUOTE ]

By filling out the applications. Just go to your guidance counselor, they will help you with all of these questions and more.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:04 PM

Don't underestimate weather and what the female student body looks like.

Southern schools are the way to go. Georgia, Clemson, UNC, etc..
Old 07-14-2005, 09:07 PM

Good program and good atmosphere (girls, nightlife, etc). If you are miserable you won't do well in school.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good program and good atmosphere (girls, nightlife, etc). If you are miserable you won't do well in school.

[/ QUOTE ]

Truer words have ne'er been spoken. My sophomore year is an example.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:47 PM

whatever you do....GET AWAY FROM HOME!!

>500 miles
Old 07-14-2005, 09:11 PM

1) figure out what you want out of your degree. pick a school that best fits that category.

2) location. pretty important. close to home? far? west coast? east coast?

3) cost. parents paying? loans/grants/financial aid?

4) social life. party? study? mix?

5) alumni. connections?

finally, pick a school that you think you'll belong to. forget what your parents think. I'm sure you'll have to listen to them one way or another but seriously, this is a place you'll be at for the next so many years so make sure you decide on a school that you won't regret going to.

above all, study hard, enjoy college life, and have fun!
Old 07-14-2005, 11:09 PM

I was lazy and missed the deadline for stanford and mit so i applied at uw-madison since it was close and still a good school and much cheaper. If you are serious about school go to a good school, but doesnt have to be top private, worry about being raped for grad school. Or just be a poker pro.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I'm going to be a senior next year in high school, mind pointing me what should I consider and figure out before applying to colleges next year? What helped you decide where you wanted to go? How did you go about applying to colleges?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, you need to talk to your high school counselor or something to that extent. Like the lady in the career center. It's their job to help you with stuff like this.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:37 PM

Visiting all my schools of interest made my decision so much easier. There were alot of schools I was considering at first, but after visiting a bunch of them it was pretty easy to narrow the field.

Side tip: If you go to visit a school, swing by the admissions office and let them know you were there--get a tour, fill out a card. Do something. Schools keep a record of your visits and can sometimes be more likely to accept you if you've shown that you are serious about attending and not just applying there for the hell of it.