Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2005, 12:02 PM

Default Hand quizes, might help beginners

3/6 SH. Hoping this little scenario can help some of those to play SH better. Also curious on the whys you would play the hand a certain way.

Your hand Ah Qc, You raise before the flop UTG+1 and get called by the BB. it goes check/bet/call, check/bet/RAISE.

You got check raised on the turn. Which hands and player types do you call raise or fold?

BOARD: Qd 6s 2c 6d
PLAYERS raise, call, or fold?
TAG
Average
Fish
LAG

BOARD: Ad 7s 2c Kh
TAG
Average
Fish
LAG

BOARD: Qd 6s 2d 9c
TAG
Average
Fish
LAG

BOARD: Qd Js 2d 9d
TAG
Average
Fish
LAG

BOARD: 2h 2s 4d 8c
TAG
Average
Fish
LAG
Old 12-27-2005, 12:46 PM

Default Re: Hand quizes, might help beginners

How to handle floats 101 eh? allright, I'll give it a run. [I hate getting floated btw, and I always play it badly - so take that fwiw]

[ QUOTE ]

BOARD: Qd 6s 2c 6d

[/ QUOTE ]
TAG - I like threebetting and looking for one bet on the river (either calling or betting myself) I'll fold to a river checkraise. A TAG likely saw a paired board and figured it was a good place to pop his paired queen. If he caps Im in trouble, and folding the river UI.

Average - I think I'll just call here and call the river. Average joes are less tricky and less aggressive in general.

Fish - if he's a loose passive fish I'll call down. If he's a spazzy random fish I'll take the same line as the tag.

LAG - same line as the tag, but without the river fold UI.

[ QUOTE ]
BOARD: Ad 7s 2c Kh

[/ QUOTE ]

TAG - This is a difficult spot for me vs a tag, since he very likely doesnt have two pair, and I have tptk. I'm either way ahead of his paired ace or king, or way behind a set of twos or sevens. I think I just call this one down, and maybe check behind on the river UI (but that could be bad).

Average - when an average player tries this, I tend to threebet and reeval. occasionally I'll win outright, but most often he'll just call down and show me an ace or king.

Fish - with a total fish I have to add more two pair hands into the mix, as well as more random bluffs. I like threebetting and I hate to see this one get capped.

LAG - vs a total lag, I'm tempted to let him keep the lead and raise a safe river. vs a maniac I'll cap here and call or raise the river.

[ QUOTE ]
BOARD: Qd 6s 2d 9c

[/ QUOTE ]

TAG - this is a much uglier board for me, but I hate giving up with tptk in a blind battle, so I call down and bet the river if he checks. I don't know what I'd do if he checkraised the river, but it probably wouldnt be healthy.

Average - ditto for average guy. I'm tempted to release here, but I probably need a good read to do that.

Fish - vs the fish I can probably fold

LAG - vs the lag I like calling and bet/calling the river.

[ QUOTE ]
BOARD: Qd Js 2d 9d

[/ QUOTE ]

TAG - vs a tag I'll threebet and fold to a cap. tag's wont spew that much on the turn, and while he can checkraise bluff me on that board with a lone diamond, he can't cap it with that kind of hand. I'll bet/fold a non-diamond river if we both make it that far.

Average - vs average guy I'll tend to call and check behind on the river. he may not valuebet a low flush, and he may try to get tricky with a big one. Plus I bet a lot of rivers anyway, so he could try for the checkraise.

Fish - i'll bet I can fold and sleep at night

LAG - a lag is about as likely as the fish to have started with flush cards (since he'd call 23suited from the bb) but he's not as likely to be betting what he's representing here. I call down because I suck at poker.

[ QUOTE ]
BOARD: 2h 2s 4d 8c

[/ QUOTE ]

TAG - this is a pretty drawless flop for me. I can fold here.

Average - ditto

Fish - I'm more tempted to call here and check through the river, as fishies tend to overvalue big cards and can make random bluffs. If he leads the river I'll fold UI and raise if I catch. It's probably very close though.

LAG - ditto vs the lag. I think I like a call and a river fold UI.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:33 PM

Isn't a float when someone who has position on you CCs PF, and pops you postflop? OP has the BB calling 1-bet OOP.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:00 PM

yeah, I guess you're right. I still hate this situation.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:49 PM

I'll take a stab really quick but I'm going to lack too much detail since my break is way beyond expired by now.

For all of these hands by the time we hit the turn there is only 6.5 BB's in the pot.

#1: Tag: Raise and fold to a 3bet. A TAG could raise here thinking that I'll fold (I'm also a TAG and it is likely that I didn't hit this board and am leading with a PP lower than Q's or a whiffed AK). Average: I'm still raising and folding to a 3bet. Fish: Fish tend to be less tricky and would actually donk the turn which could induce a fold from me. Depending on specific stats/notes I'm leaning toward a fold here or a call. LAG: I'm raising and calling down.

#2: Tag/Average I'm 3betting and I hate the cap but I'll call down here. Fish: Again fish are less tricky (some are over tricky though) so I'll call and see the river. LAG: I'm 3betting, easily calling the cap and maybe even raising the river.

#3: I'm 3betting everyone here and hoping a diamond doesn't hit the river and I'm not up against two pair.

#4: This is a very draw heavy board. Someone could aready have the flush or a straight or could have both and I don't have any draws to improve. My A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] is not an out any more and I'm hoping my TPTK is good here. This is a small pot so I'm folding to this action here to everyone with the exception of the LAG. I'll call and see the river. If there is no scare card on the river I'll call down.

#5: Against a thinking TAG I'll raise but I can see a fold here; folding to the average and fish since the pot is small and I'll call the LAG here. If the thinking TAG caps it I'll have to let it go.