Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would you crap in the backyard?
Yea I gots to go 79 55.24%
No (what do you do then)? 64 44.76%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-12-2005, 08:25 PM

Default Re: home game penalty for cussing - what to do?

A penalty for cussing in a poker game/tourney? That's [censored] ridiculous.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:10 PM

It's important that you not take the lord's name in vain while gambling, which by the way is expressly and repeatedly condoned by the bible.

I do think you are being quite childish, but I agree with what other people have said, if someone is offending you in your own house, you're entitled to stand up for yourself.

However, and let me be clear here, this has NOTHING to do with poker. NOTHING. ZERO. NADDA. In no way related to BBs!!!

What would you say/do if someone repeatedly offended you if you had him over to watch a football game or something? Do that.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:45 PM

Goddamn it, grow up and let it go. It's just a couple of words used when people are mad, they don't mean anything by it. It's the same as saying "darn" or "golly" or "[censored]!!!!!!!" when you're surprised/upset/frustrated etc. My best advice, and I honestly mean this with all due respect, "Get over it." Now if you have your kids around or something then you have every right to tell the players to tone down their language. However, as a non parent, I couldn't see myself allowing my future children watching me gamble with my friends.

Good luck,
Matt
Old 08-13-2005, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

However, and let me be clear here, this has NOTHING to do with poker. NOTHING. ZERO. NADDA. In no way related to BBs!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I agree with this. I'm not a very religious person, so I'm not easily offended by much(unless you call Mark Prior injury prone), but I still understand where you're coming from. You just can't penalize someone by making them sit out or taking chips away from them. The best response I heard was making them wear a tiara, that's definitely punishment, but it's not punishing their poker.

I say get all the players to agree with the tiara(I'm sure the jerk who keeps saying gd won't agree to it, but everyone else probably will) idea and the 2nd or 3rd time they say it just make the guy wear it for about 15 minutes.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:43 AM

Can we still covet thy neighbor's wife?
Old 08-13-2005, 03:04 AM

Tell them that it's your house and if they can't respect one simple rule then leave. It's no different than asking someone not to put their feet on your furniture or not smoke in your house. If they don't like it then I guess you've no choice than to find someone else to play with.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:43 AM

If you have issues with GD then you have issues with the people that say it. If you can't stand hearing it don't be friends with those people, or realize you hearing it doesn't mean anything. There is no middle ground here. If it's a sin like you think then playing poker with these people is the same thing as playing poker with thieves and murderers. If you're going to have a belief system, then follow it. What is this bullshit? I think you're a complete idiot. God's name can't be sacred to you if you don't mind consorting with people who enjoy defaming it. Note, I don't belive any of this sutff, but if I did I sure as hell wouldn't be such a douche about it.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you have issues with GD then you have issues with the people that say it. If you can't stand hearing it don't be friends with those people, or realize you hearing it doesn't mean anything. There is no middle ground here. If it's a sin like you think then playing poker with these people is the same thing as playing poker with thieves and murderers. If you're going to have a belief system, then follow it. What is this bullshit? I think you're a complete idiot. God's name can't be sacred to you if you don't mind consorting with people who enjoy defaming it. Note, I don't belive any of this sutff, but if I did I sure as hell wouldn't be such a douche about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes no sense at all. Have you ever heard anything or read anything about the life of Jesus? I'm not trying (or going to try) to turn this into a religion thread but I'm pretty sure he ate with the "sinners" (you opened the door for that one). So me being friends or doing whatever with these people is not a real issue. Glad you took time to read the original post or for that matter any of the other post in here.

I take issue with him saying GD. What if I was German and he kept calling me a Nazi (or black and called me N-word). Those are just words, guess those people should just get over it, stop being such a nit, and grow-up! (no, I don't believe that, it's a word that those people find offensive and I respect that so I don't use those words) It's something that I don't want being said in my house (or any other uses of the Lord's name in vain).

on another note, he seems to have realized how big of an ass he was last week because he behaved himself this week and we had a pretty good tourney.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can we still covet thy neighbor's wife?

[/ QUOTE ]

you must have not seen her! [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2005, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes no sense at all. Have you ever heard anything or read anything about the life of Jesus? I'm not trying (or going to try) to turn this into a religion thread but I'm pretty sure he ate with the "sinners" (you opened the door for that one). So me being friends or doing whatever with these people is not a real issue. Glad you took time to read the original post or for that matter any of the other post in here.

I take issue with him saying GD. What if I was German and he kept calling me a Nazi (or black and called me N-word). Those are just words, guess those people should just get over it, stop being such a nit, and grow-up! (no, I don't believe that, it's a word that those people find offensive and I respect that so I don't use those words) It's something that I don't want being said in my house (or any other uses of the Lord's name in vain).

on another note, he seems to have realized how big of an ass he was last week because he behaved himself this week and we had a pretty good tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Jesus ate with the sinners in order to help them, not take their money / entertain / gamble with them.

2. The "true" meaning of saying GD should be so appaling to someone who has thsoe belifs that it would cause you to break all bonds with that person. I don't know how I can explain this better. Even non christians, and non religious people take affront from people saying this. This isn't just a curse word. Do you see why? This is probably the only part you haven't though about enough, hence this post.

3. Your beliefs don't appear to be in harmony. As proof, this post.