Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 04:39 AM

Default Im lazy

I've decided that I don't want to work 4 hours a day anymore and want to cut down to 3 hours a day (24 sit and gos in 3 sets of 8).

However I do have the stipulation that if after 3 sets I'm up over 1k per set, then I keep trying to push my win until I'm either up less than 1k per set (this figure may be tweaked a little bit), up 10k or its too late/Im too tired to keep playing. Somehow I feel like it's a good idea to keep pressing when you are doing extremely well, as no matter who you are it's hard not to play a tad better when you are winning. Also if Im down over 2000 after my first two sets I just stop for the day.

Oh also I plan to play nonstop the first day of every month of which I will call "rent" day. I hope to play like 10-12 hours (ive never done this in my life really) and earn as much of the rent and all the months expenses in one day, at least from a theoretical standpoint, and then the rest of the month is a bonus [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I need to live at least one day of the month like raptor anyway to be considered a real gambler I think.

Anyway not sure why Im sharing this, because obviously very few people care. Im just extremely obsessive about working a set number of hours and having a very detailed structure behind my play or else everything feels like chaos to me.

Also I feel like I love the game of poker as much as or more than everyone on this board, yet I can't find it in me to love playing for 6 hours+ per day, with the exception of being in a multi and doing well.

Raptor and others who play as much as him are champions of the world, it takes a special quality to be able to play so many hours per day. Poker isn't like a real job where you simply have to put in a full day. If you get to a certain level you can make a very healthy living working 2-3 hours a day and it's hard to find that extra motivation to play more, because ok there are a lot of other fun things to do that aren't so stressful. Also I'm not a natural gambler, I simply hate gambling for any amount of money that is remotely signifigant to me. This is a problem because basically all of the top players in the world are crazy insane gamblers or at least were at one point in their lives, or so it seems.

Anyway in all this system should increase the quality of my life for a few reasons:

1. More free time each day and the idea of playing 3 hours seems very undaunting when compared to playing 4
2. I'll play more when winning
3. I'll play less when losing

Even if I play the same when winning or losing, I definitely know that Im happier playing while Im winning than when Im losing.

The end. I want to show the worst hand I've ever played in my life as a finish to this thread but I can't find it anywhere. It's so unbeleivably bad, I must find it... I'll post a follow up with it, but it's really the worst hand ever, I basically went completely insane. That way no one can say this post had no poker content [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2005, 04:44 AM

Default Oooh I found it

I'm going to leave this hand without comment. Enjoy my insanity from about one week ago. This literally may have been the worst hand I've ever played, but okay mainly for the river decision to MOVE ALLIN after being check raised.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

MP2 (t1040)
MP3 (t1025)
Hero (t990)
Button (t975)
SB (t985)
BB (t1000)
UTG (t1000)
UTG+1 (t985)
UTG+2 (t1000)
MP1 (t1000)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP2 calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t57.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t60</font>, Hero calls t60, SB folds, BB folds.

Turn: (t177.50) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t60</font>, Hero calls t60.

River: (t297.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font> MP2 checks, Hero bets t250, MP2 raises to t500, Hero moves allin, MP2 calls

Final Pot: t297.50

MP2 shows [ 7s, 9s ] a straight, six to ten.
Hero shows [ Ah, 9h ] high card ace.
MP2 wins 2010 chips from the main pot with a straight, six to ten.
Hero finished in tenth place.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:50 AM

Default Re: Im lazy

I'm pretty much the same way. Except I have to put in 4hrs a day until I'm getting $100/hr. I'm happy to just average ~10k a month, and since it's tax-free it's the same as a normal person earning close to 200k before tax.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:56 AM

Well okay you are supposed to pay some taxes...
Old 07-29-2005, 04:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also I'm not a natural gambler, I simply hate gambling for any amount of money that is remotely signifigant to me. This is a problem because basically all of the top players in the world are crazy insane gamblers or at least were at one point in their lives, or so it seems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if the "top players" exceed your accomplishments in poker, at least you probably have a much higher "life +EV expectancy" due this one characteristic. "This is a problem" is the phrase I'd use to describe the aforementioned top poker players.

Seems like the hardest "finer point" for non-poker playing (or occasional poker-playing) people to grasp just how fine a balance it is to crank out the hours without being/turning into some kind of action/gamble junky. You almost have to be the the latter (risk-loving at least) to want to play so much, but it's pretty dang hard to be that way and have the discipline/control at all times to play your best. Those with the discipline/control tend to be more risk-averse, and playing 40 hours/week (or something approaching that) is a big emotional/energy drain.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:25 AM

Aussie government doesn't enforce taxing the income of pro gamblers here. Winnings from gambling aren't taxable, but then you could argue that pro's aren't really 'gambling'. The tax office tried that and took a few pros (horses punters) to court 10-15 years ago, lost, and no-one has had trouble since. I guess they figure it's more trouble than what it's worth.

I still pay a goods&amp;services tax though which is 10%.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:29 AM

My fault I forgot that not everyone lives in USA.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

obviously very few people care.

[/ QUOTE ]
I care, curtains...I care.

Because I'm a 10+1 guy mostly when I sit, and go, and am also a ponderer of such life EV questions.

If you, and the other posters, could please include what games they are referring to, mostly play, and something of results(with explanations of pokerbabble words), I would appreciate it very much.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:34 AM

I 8 table the $215s right now.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:39 AM

Also some history behind how you became HxC(hardcore). How much expeirence, how much time, years at it, intensity of study. Thanks. I know I'm asking alot, especially because some are lazy.