Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: green beer?
yay- 16 50.00%
nay- 16 50.00%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2005, 01:27 AM

Default Simple Preflop Things That Still Confuse Me

Alot of this stuff is clearly read-dependent. Please assume unknowns in a 3/6 PP game for the poll, and then make comments about how your decision might change in a reply. Thanks for any thoughts....
Old 04-25-2005, 01:32 AM

Default Re: Simple Preflop Things That Still Confuse Me

#1 is a super easy fold IMO.

#2 is a raise in the typical daytime 3/6 game, where the blinds generally play pretty tight. Against loose blinds I muck.

#3 is a standard raise for me.

#4 is probably the closest decision for me. I either call or raise depending on the limper, the blinds, and what sort of mood I'm in.

#5 -- see #3

#6 I call here, the pot will be four ways often enough to make this profitable.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:32 AM

I think the easiest one is the 22 in the CO after 1 limper. There's nothing in the pot, you can't isolate the limper because the BB usually calls (unknowns), buying the button is worthless in this situation, and limping behind is pointless because you'll have trouble making enough bets post-flop with a set to catch up to the loss of odds preflop. It's a FOLD.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:36 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

you raise KQo UTG. UTG+1 3 bets, MP caps, folded back to you- fold

Folded to you in hijack with TJo- fold (could raise if I was a better player)

folded to you in CO with J8s- raise

1 limper, you have A4s in CO- raise

Folded to you in CO with 87s- raise (could fold)

1 Limper, you have 22 in the CO- depends on limper, blinds, etc. I think it could be any of the 3, but rarely fold
Old 04-25-2005, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a FOLD.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed
Old 04-25-2005, 01:37 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
I think the easiest one is the 22 in the CO after 1 limper. There's nothing in the pot, you can't isolate the limper because the BB usually calls (unknowns), buying the button is worthless in this situation, and limping behind is pointless because you'll have trouble making enough bets post-flop with a set to catch up to the loss of odds preflop. It's a FOLD.

[/ QUOTE ]

why can't you win without a set?
Old 04-25-2005, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

#4 is probably the closest decision for me. I either call or fold depending on the limper, the blinds, and what sort of mood I'm in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really hate calling in LP after one limper with a hand with good showdown value. I think raising is much, much better than calling under most circumstances, and I think ever folding a hand this good with position against a limper (and an open limper is statistically most likely not a good player) is a mistake.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

why can't you win without a set?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's against the rules. 20-minute timeout, $45 penalty.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:40 AM

i think that's ridiculous... but i think most of these are pretty borderline. i think hand 1 is a MUCH MUCH clearer fold than this. there's a helluvalotta times my limp from the CO will inspire the button through the blinds to limp along, and suddenly i've got a pair with decent position headed into a 5-way pot.

but lengthy arguments could be had for a lot of these. what to do with JTo, for example, for me would depend entirely on my available reads against remaining opposition and my perception of my table image... i don't think most of these are clear cut. and even against unknowns i might vary my play with some of these marginal hands.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

#4 is probably the closest decision for me. I either call or fold depending on the limper, the blinds, and what sort of mood I'm in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really hate calling in LP after one limper with a hand with good showdown value. I think raising is much, much better than calling under most circumstances, and I think ever folding a hand this good with position against a limper (and an open limper is statistically most likely not a good player) is a mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was a typo, I meant call or raise. Oops. But I like your reasoning for raising rather than calling.