Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2005, 07:53 PM

Default Stealing a min-raised pot

Bally's 2-5NL, 8 players.

In the BB with 8-10 offsuit, MP min-raised to $10, three callers. I decided to take a shot at a steal, and then show after the hand (I wasn't getting enough action on my hands, and figured now was a good time to switch up my play). I raised to fifty, with $400 behind. Everyone called! After the hand (outcome is unimportant), I showed. MP min-raiser (once again, it was Justin Moore) said that if I was going to steal, I'd need to raise to twice the pot, not the just the pot.

Really? I guess all the calls would justify his reasoning, but is this standard? Raising to twice the pot on a steal, or with AA/KK in the BB?
Old 04-19-2005, 08:33 PM

Default Re: Stealing a min-raised pot

I think 2X pot is a little much, but maybe raising to ~70-80 would prevent the domino calling effect that you apparently got. Of course you'd need to do that with your premium hands too.

Eric
Old 04-19-2005, 08:38 PM

Ok, that's what I was thinking too. I think a $75 raise would have done it.

Do you think the domino effect occurred because the pot had already been min-raised?? The table had been reasonably tight preflop, and I was really surprised that 4 people called a $50 preflop bet. I also wasn't really giving proper implied odds, since I had only $400 left... (I guess the other possibility was that I was such a fish that they wanted to see a flop with me.)
Old 04-19-2005, 08:50 PM

Well, after you made your raise the pot was in the neighborhood of $100, and if the original MP minraiser has anything, and suspects that one or two people might come behind him because of the attractive odds the pot is offering (40 more into an ever increasing pile of chips) then that's all it takes to start the daisy chain.

Eric
Old 04-19-2005, 08:56 PM

Yup, good point.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:01 PM

Justin Moore is min-raising and you're going for a steal-raise out of position? Are you crazy? I'm never trying a move like this against a player like Justin Moore.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:33 PM

You're right. I don't know what I was thinking, pulling a move like that against Justin Moore. BTW, it has occured to me that the fellow was saying this stuff just to get inside my head, which he apparently succeeded in doing (if only at a time where it is no longer useful for him at the poker table.)
Old 04-19-2005, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bally's 2-5NL, 8 players.

In the BB with 8-10 offsuit, MP min-raised to $10, three callers. I decided to take a shot at a steal, and then show after the hand (I wasn't getting enough action on my hands, and figured now was a good time to switch up my play). I raised to fifty, with $400 behind. Everyone called! After the hand (outcome is unimportant), I showed. MP min-raiser (once again, it was Justin Moore) said that if I was going to steal, I'd need to raise to twice the pot, not the just the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried a similar move myself.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
MP min-raiser (once again, it was Justin Moore) said that if I was going to steal, I'd need to raise to twice the pot, not the just the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Can it you nit!"
Old 04-20-2005, 01:50 AM

may i please get the breakdown of the rest of the hand and the results please? also, any more additional insight from justin moore?