Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 05:33 AM

Default Lost (party 200 6max)

Party Poker (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Hero has ~200 and Villian covers. I have only been at the table for a few orbits and villian has not done anything to draw attention to himself. At the moment I have him as a 24vpip/7pfr, but it is only after 25 hands.

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font> 1 limp, Hero raises. Blinds and limper come along.

Flop$28) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Villian bets $18, MP folds, Hero calls, SB folds.

Is this an easy fold for some? An easy raise? I wanted to play it out a little, see what he was willing to do on the turn (assuming he might slow down a little with just an 8).

Turn$62) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Villian checks, Hero checks.

Perhaps a bet here and a fold to a raise? Or bet in hopes I can check behind the river?

River$62) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Villian bets $45 and I...?

I thought this hand might be interesting because of the variety of lines available (aside from folding on the flop, but I'm a donkey).
Old 08-09-2005, 06:58 AM

Default Re: Lost (party 200 6max)

I like all streets and call the river
Old 08-09-2005, 07:02 AM

I minraise the flop. Looks like you hit a set. Gets villain thinking especially if the flop bet was just a continuation bet and all he has are overs. Sometimes you can take it right there.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Hero has ~200 and Villian covers. I have only been at the table for a few orbits and villian has not done anything to draw attention to himself. At the moment I have him as a 24vpip/7pfr, but it is only after 25 hands.

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font> 1 limp, Hero raises. Blinds and limper come along.

Flop$28) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Villian bets $18, MP folds, Hero calls, SB folds.

Is this an easy fold for some? An easy raise? I wanted to play it out a little, see what he was willing to do on the turn (assuming he might slow down a little with just an 8).

Turn$62) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Villian checks, Hero checks.

Perhaps a bet here and a fold to a raise? Or bet in hopes I can check behind the river?

River$62) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Villian bets $45 and I...?

I thought this hand might be interesting because of the variety of lines available (aside from folding on the flop, but I'm a donkey).

[/ QUOTE ]

played well. the river call is very thin IMO, but should be made due to the turn check.

fim
Old 08-09-2005, 07:28 AM

I think the call on the flop is good. All the possibilities you mention for turn / river lines sound plausible to me. Given that you chose to check the turn, there is no way you can fold this river. Call.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:31 AM

Not any easy one at all.

99 is a border line between a viable pair and playing for set value.
He could easily be playing an AK but could just as easily be playing a higher pair (JJ TT).
Hios VPIP of 25% on a 6-max table is a bit low - pointing to the pair.

On the river I reckon you are beat. I have a feeling he was going for a check-raise on the turn and, when he didn't get it, had to bet out on the river.

Of course, I could be way off.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:51 AM

Played fine, I am not sure if I call the river, as I dont often see him value betting an 8. But he could be value betting a 5, or bluffing a whiffed 67.

I call.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:58 AM

Just relating to hand distributions...

[ QUOTE ]
He could easily be playing an AK but could just as easily be playing a higher pair (JJ TT).

[/ QUOTE ]

You realise that our Hero only raised to $7 preflop, after a limper (I think that's right). When the action came to the villian in the BB they were getting &gt;3/1 on their call right there. This widens our villians hand distribution somewhat. The lead on the flop allows us to narrow it again. I'd approximate something like 66-JJ, 67s, 78s and 89s. The check on the turn would make sense with any of these hands.

The river might change our opinion of that distribution slightly, since many villians won't lead out with the parts of this distribution that we can beat. However, I think it happens often enough to call.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I minraise the flop. Looks like you hit a set. Gets villain thinking especially if the flop bet was just a continuation bet and all he has are overs. Sometimes you can take it right there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I woukd do the same as above. The min-raise should tell you where you stand.