Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2005, 01:35 AM

Default A tough river bet/fold

Villain is 36/15 smart and pretty solid LAG from the few limited hands I've seen. Haven't seen any pure river bluffs from him yet in about 8 orbits, nothing too out of the ordinary in general.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls.

Flop: (7 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, CO folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

River: (9.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB

I was real close to checking this river, but decided I'd get enough value from lower pairs if I could fold to a c/r. Then again, 12.5:1 is a real big number.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:37 AM

Default Re: A tough river bet/fold

I probably 3B the flop...
Old 09-18-2005, 01:41 AM

It's an option, however many hands he's raising here I don't have a very high equity edge to three bet such as a pair+OESD. Since I'm sure he'll bet the turn regardless of what hits, I can call down if a scare card hits, or raise if a blank hits when my equoty is much better.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:41 AM

I don't like the way you played this. You need to 3 bet this flop, there are way too many scare cards that will make a turn raise incorrect, such as a Q, T, 7, etc..

I really don't see why we need to bet this river, we have second pair with a 4 straight on the board. Our hand is showdownable, but not likely to get called by very many worse hands. Check call the river.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's an option, however many hands he's raising here I don't have a very high equity edge to three bet such as a pair+OESD. Since I'm sure he'll bet the turn regardless of what hits, I can call down if a scare card hits, or raise if a blank hits when my equoty is much better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh. An equity edge is an equity edge, and like i was saying, there will be lots of turn cards where you still have the best but cannot raise. Additionally, since he is a thinking lag, his range is very wide here IMO, and it includes a very good number of hands that you are ahead of.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:58 AM

the reason your fold is so tough is because you shouldn't bet this river
Old 09-18-2005, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the reason your fold is so tough is because you shouldn't bet this river

[/ QUOTE ]

You could give a more eloquent explanation like mine jackass. And it's past your bedtime [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2005, 01:24 PM

I would wait until the turn also on this board so I liked the way you played the flop and turn. I think a river check is best since your against a thinking LAG who probably won't be calling your bet with much garbage on this board and probably isn't incapable of a bluff raise given that your range of hands isn't exactly 10-heavy given how you played the hand.
Old 09-18-2005, 02:44 PM

I actually really like your flop/turn line. I do not like the river bet, because I'm a big pussy on the river.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was real close to checking this river, but decided I'd get enough value from lower pairs if I could fold to a c/r.

[/ QUOTE ]
OK.

I'd just call the turn though in case you were behind a set or two pair or chopping with AJ which SB was repping.