Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 03:17 AM

Default Fun blind battle

Villain is TAG, although he does overplay hands a bit. One hand worth noting before this in a previous blind battle with the same guy. I open raise SB with JJ, he 3-bets, I cap. I bet out a Qxx flop, he makes a quick call. I bet rag turns and river with autocalls and he shows AKo.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks.

River: (6 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8 BB

I was tempted to Clarkmeister the river, however I felt he was tricky enough to bluff-raise this river without a diamond and really wanted to see a showdown. First, how does my line look here?

The bigger question IMO is a hypothetical on the turn. What am I doing if he bets the turn? If he was raising a flush draw it just hit, a Q already beats me and now so does a J. Would you call down because of the lower PP possibility or bluff? I was near ready to fold had he bet followed up with a bet turn here FWIW.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:19 AM

Default Re: Fun blind battle

His flop raise seems like a standard continuation of his pf blind defense. Any reason you didn't re-raise there?

The rest of the hand is a lot more difficult - you've now ceded control to him and I guess you have to decide what the odds are he's outright bluffing here. Your turn and river checks make it a lot easier for him. I'll probably call this down as well and expect to see Ax7d or something similar...
Old 08-24-2005, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Fun blind battle

[ QUOTE ]
His flop raise seems like a standard continuation of his pf blind defense. Any reason you didn't re-raise there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, didn't think about this. I didn't think 3-betting the flop and raising the ensuing flop autobet is a standard continuation. At this point it looks like he could have a premium hand that is charging me, and there's a very good chance he could cap if I 3-bet this flop. My thought was that I could just call down to induce a turn/river bluff bet barring any big scare cards (like the Jd) since I'm likely way ahead or way behind. This, plus I thought the chances of him checking the turn were minimal considering all of the aggression preflop and on the flop. I like my plan here though much better when I have position instead of OOP. If I 3-bet here and he just calls, I have free reign to fire on the turn. However, I'm not sure where I could find a fold if he caps it on me, since I'd still feel pretty obligated to call down a non-scary turn/river.