Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 10:14 AM

Default 3-6NL, AQo utg facing turn decision, maybe utterly boring.

600nl, the table seems to be playing fairly passively with a more than the normal amount of set miners. I would normally leave but there are two fish who will donate their (admittedly shortish) stacks with missed AK etc.

I'm UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], and make it $24 to go. Sometimes I limp this but it's usually either fold or raise. Feel free to discuss.

One caller in MP ($750ish, I have him covered), someone who I have very few hands on, but my notes say "boring solid". I've been sitting for nearly 2 hours and think he's raised preflop maybe once in that entire time. I try to raise preflop and flop a lot, so may have a semi LAG image, although I'm pretty tight when it comes to playing big pots.

Flop ($57) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet $40, MP calls.

Turn ($137) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I pause and bet $90, MP pauses for ages, then pops it up to $250 total, I have to call $160 to proceed.

My action? This is boring and obvious right?
Old 10-20-2005, 10:25 AM

Default Re: 3-6NL, AQo utg facing turn decision, maybe utterly boring.

shouldve checked fourth... as played, this is not fun, but folding is prob the play...
Old 10-20-2005, 10:31 AM

Push....and yes
Old 10-20-2005, 10:40 AM

Given my description of villian, what range of hands do you think are calling a push?
Old 10-20-2005, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Given my description of villian, what range of hands do you think are calling a push?

[/ QUOTE ]im gonna go w/ AK/TT for 400 alec.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:45 AM

I'm UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], and make it $24 to go. Sometimes I limp this but it's usually either fold or raise. Feel free to discuss.

Ugh... I hate opening this hand EP in a full ring game. LP with good control of the table I'll usually open with it. But you're basically keeping most hands you dominate from playing, while seeing hands that dominate you simply cold calling rather than defining their hand better. AJ and KQ is about the only hand anyone will think about playing that you dominate, and many reasonable players can and will get off these to PFRs, especially from EP.

My action? This is boring and obvious right?

Not at all obvious. I agree that you should have checked fourth, or maybe even cr'd the flop. Gotta say it's likely he's on AK, AQ, AJ, or AT. How likely is he to have cold called your PFR with AJ/AT? Stick a weight on them and figure out if you should move in or fold to the bet.

- C -
Old 10-20-2005, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ugh... I hate opening this hand EP in a full ring game. LP with good control of the table I'll usually open with it. But you're basically keeping most hands you dominate from playing, while seeing hands that dominate you simply cold calling rather than defining their hand better. AJ and KQ is about the only hand anyone will think about playing that you dominate, and many reasonable players can and will get off these to PFRs, especially from EP.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I agree in part with what you're saying, I get a lot of value from my strong hands UTG by betting UTG preflop with a few weaker ones. I'll bet medium/high pairs and AQ/AK and even KQs UTG, which makes it very hard for people to automatically put me on a strong hand just because I've bet preflop UTG. There are so many players out there who only bet UTG with the goods and don't get paid as a result. In fact, they lose their AA/KK etc to my sets a lot. I'm certainly not going broke with AQ when an A or Q flops just because I bet it preflop.

That said, I still agree that I allow others to make less of a mistake preflop. I'm not entirely sure how my point balances out with yours. Comments appreciated.

[ QUOTE ]
Not at all obvious. I agree that you should have checked fourth, or maybe even cr'd the flop. Gotta say it's likely he's on AK, AQ, AJ, or AT. How likely is he to have cold called your PFR with AJ/AT? Stick a weight on them and figure out if you should move in or fold to the bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only hand I'm beating that I think he would have called with is AJ, so fold seems to be the play.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:02 PM

Default Results

[ QUOTE ]
shouldve checked fourth... as played, this is not fun, but folding is prob the play...

[/ QUOTE ]

TBH this didn't really occur to me, but you're right. Checking fourth allows him to make more of a mistake with weaker hands, he might even convince himself that KK or QQ is good.

I guess I'm check calling a reasonable bet on the turn then seeing what he does on the river? For example, AJ/KK will probably check behind, or I can fold to a push?

In the actual hand I did fold on the turn, for a rather boring finish.