Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2005, 09:40 AM

Default River Play

Comments? I've been trying to work on my river aggression, since I have a tendency to wuss out when a flush card hits.
The cold call of two bets on the flop had me nervous, but I decided to fire away anyway. How bad was the crying call on the river after the check-raise?

The river is the weakest part of my game, I think. I am still unable to strike a proper balance between aggression, not throwing away bets, and yet not giving up on large pots on the river unless I am sure I am beat.

I had just sat down, so no relevant reads.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Flop: (13 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (12.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 18.50 BB
Old 04-21-2005, 09:49 AM

Default Re: River Play

this hand was well played.
don't worry about it.
this is a good value bet in my opinion.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:50 AM

Since the river completes at least two draws, the flush and some gutshot straights, I wouldn't value bet in this spot.
But I think it's close.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:52 AM

Perfect value bet. Sucks that you got check/raised, but don't let that stop you from making the same play next time. They'll pay you off soon enough.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:53 AM

Nice hand.

Yes, you are probably screwed, but every once in a while SB will be getting way out of line with a jack. (I have also been shown something like QQ in this situation as well). Remember, SB just semi-coldcalled a 3-bet preflop, so he is more likely than usual to be a moron. You will be good 1 time in 18 here.

Also, the initial river bet is a 24/7 value bet. Yes, the river card is a little scary, but you can't check-call every time somethine creepy hits on the river. This is not a marginal situation IMO; it is a clear-cut bet.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:55 AM

Honestly, I like the way you played this hand. It seems to me that there is a good chance SB has a jack and can't get away from it (until he raised the river). And on the river, I think you gotta call in a pot of this size.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice hand.

Also, the initial river bet is a 24/7 value bet. Yes, the river card is a little scary, but you can't check-call every time somethine creepy hits on the river. This is not a marginal situation IMO; it is a clear-cut bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

for emphasis. (i wasn't decisive enough in my response.)

also. don't worry about that fact that you almost certainly lost the hand after the checkraise. you still need to call it down, because sometimes people like to bluff a "flush card" and the pot is big enough to justify picking off those bluffs.

forget about the results of this particular hand. had you won, you wouldn't even remember the hand...
Old 04-21-2005, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Remember, SB just semi-coldcalled a 3-bet preflop, so he is more likely than usual to be a moron.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the first thing that crossed my mind when reading this hand. Because SB seems like such a calling station, it's tough to put him on a strong draw. If he's not a moron calling station, then he's probably slow-playing KK or something in which case you're ahead (this wouldn't necessarily escape him from moron status either). I see no reason to be worried about him up until his river raise. Last night I got check/called all the way down and C/R'd on the river by somebody with 99 against my big slick, which was good.

In any case - I feel the same way about my game. River is definitely my weakness.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:06 AM

I play it the same.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:27 AM

yeah this would be tough for me too. i think since you're closing action, it is a close decision mainly because of SB cold calling.