Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2005, 06:27 AM

Default I think i really botched this AQs hand

I think i made some big mistakes in playing this hand and i need some help identifying them.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls, Button calls.

Turn: (9 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls, Button calls, SB calls.

River: (21 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button folds, SB calls $2.25 (All-In), BB calls, UTG+1 folds.

Final Pot: 31.25 BB
I called on the flop because I wanted to raise the turn. But on the turn, it was raised before it got to me. I think that i made a big mistake in not raising the flop since i missed value and wasn't able to define my opponents' holdings as well as i wanted to. So I think my flop play was a mistake. I think the turn play was okay. On the turn, I'm getting 8-1 on my call and there aren't too many hands that have me in really bad shape (only a flopped straight or set.) I may have gotten a little crazy on the river given that the guy who raised the river hadn't been agressive in the hand till then, so i was thinking that he might have backed into a st8 w/ kj or something. Plus I had to worry about the guy who raised the turn and led the river. He might have flopped a set or something. Anyways - where are the bad mistakes.
(1) Should have raised the flop?
(2) Should have just called the river?

Thanks.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:33 AM

Default Re: I think i really botched this AQs hand

"I called the turn because I wanted to raise the river"

Why can't you do both??
Old 04-21-2005, 06:35 AM

Huh? I didn't write that. I called the on the flop instead of raising because i wanted to give myself the opportunity to raise a turn bet from the same guy - but i think that this is a bad play.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:37 AM

Good raise preflop.

You needed to raise the flop for value.

You're pretty lost on the turn, but without reads I'm leaning towards a coldcall based on the overall LAGiness of party players.

You're still lost on the river, but you are correct in that you can't fold. Crying call in order.

The flow of this hand is just not there so I don't have the judgement to say what to do after not raising the flop.

Try to get some reads on your table as they help with analysis of the hand while you're playing, and for us.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Huh? I didn't write that. I called the on the flop instead of raising because i wanted to give myself the opportunity to raise a turn bet from the same guy - but i think that this is a bad play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I misquoted.

"I called on the flop because I wanted to raise the turn. "

You can do both. I mean, we're aggressive lions down here at 2+2. There is no need for fancy play, theres no need to give a cheap card to this many players.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:52 AM

i raise the flop here. i reckon you have the best hand and should raise for value. most of the players will call another bet here. also, raise the turn as well. you have a good chance of making some face 2+ bets cold and your hand is still strong.
on the river, i'd be tempted to call, but as my river play is my most suspect area of my game, i am not confident in my advice here.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:18 AM

The rest of the hand is much simpler if you raise the flop. Just call the river.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:24 AM

well you already said your flop play was a mistake, so we'll move on.

turn: BB wakes up. any reads? would be slowplay TT? bet a draw? most likely you're up against 2 pair, but i think the pot is too big to not continue since you're not sure what 2 pair he may have.

river: i think the 3-bet is a bit too much. not only is BB still betting but UTG+1 has woken up too with a straight on the board. pot: too big. call.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:21 AM

raise the flop.

UTG+1 riverfold is nice [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 04-21-2005, 09:04 AM

*blind response, please critque*

Good PF raise -
I would not miss the chance to raise the flop here. You have a good, yet extrememly vulnerable hand here and would like to narrow the field as much as possible.
On the turn, i don't see the "8-1" odds...calling the raise is $2 to win $12; making it actually 1-6, right? (implied odds would better this to about 1-8 i figure)

With those odds, and the fact that there is already an overcall, i fold the turn. However, my biggest problem i'm trying to work on is not folding too much w/ big pots...