Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2004, 11:10 PM

Default Flopped set vs. possible straight

UTG is on the loose passive side preflop and on the latter streets--haven't seen him get out of line. Comments on each street appreciated.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: bdk3clash is CO with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, bdk3clash calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, bdk3clash calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">bdk3clash 3-bets</font>, Button folds, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG caps</font>, MP1 folds, bdk3clash calls, BB calls.

Turn: (13.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, bdk3clash calls, BB folds.

River: (15.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, bdk3clash calls.

Final Pot: 17.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 17.25 BB, between bdk3clash and UTG.</font>
Old 08-29-2004, 11:32 PM

Default Re: Flopped set vs. possible straight

IMO, well played. I would be real tempted to pop the turn for good measure, but that maybe incorrect. May not like getting 3-bet on the turn, but would obviously call down from there on out. If I had been out of position, I would have definately lead into flop capper and then called down from there on out.

Your line seems good b/c at most you only missed 1bb (if you popped turn got 3-bet then capping turn would be out of line IMO), but prevented lossing 2bb unecessarily.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:37 PM

I would have called the flop raise and shovelled my chips in on the turn when a blank came.

- Jim
Old 08-29-2004, 11:52 PM

Did you consider raising PF?

I can't not raise the turn here, especially when the flop 2 sooted. But I see why this is tough with your read on UTG. If you have hundreds of hands on him in pokertracker and he has a real low aggression factor than I can see maybe just calling down but if it's just what you've seen in a few orbits I have to raise the turn.

I hope he showed Q9o.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:53 AM

id have played it the same. you are also beat by any other set.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:27 AM

I'd have popped this one more time on the turn, I don't believe UTG has a straight here, I'm even inclined to say he has Ax clubs or possibly Q9. Most Party 2/4 players I think would wait until the turn to raise with the flopped nuts or he would have just called hoping for LP to raise the flop so he can 3-bet when it comes back to him, I'm not sure he'd want to shut everyone out right away. Would UTG open limp with 99??? I think that might be the only hand you are behind to. I also would have liked to charged the player behind me 2 cold but fortunately he dropped for one more bet when the turn hit. Had you raised the turn and got 3-bet, then I think you could safely say he has the straight but I'm still leaning towards Ax clubs that was trying to clean up an ace on the flop then decided to cap for value when it got back to him.

Bob S.